Help on Green algea problem please!

Rachelh01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Any idea what this is or how i deal with it please? i am currently trying to hover it off the sand each week but noticing it on the rock work also. Its not only in areas that I would have thought low flow, but also areas where there is high flow and i have increased it to see if this helps but it hasnt so far. I have also reduced the white light down to about 5% ,tank is about 18 months old and it didnt have this previously when the white light was higher over the last year or so.

Any CUC that would take care of it??

20220713_085526.jpg 20220713_085531.jpg

Attachments

• 20220820_072506.mp4
    53.4 MB

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Any idea what this is or how i deal with it please? i am currently trying to hover it off the sand each week but noticing it on the rock work also. Its not only in areas that I would have thought low flow, but also areas where there is high flow and i have increased it to see if this helps but it hasnt so far. I have also reduced the white light down to about 5% ,tank is about 18 months old and it didnt have this previously when the white light was higher over the last year or so.

Any CUC that would take care of it??

20220713_085526.jpg 20220713_085531.jpg
Sand is incredibly clean after 18 months.

OP
OP
R

Rachelh01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand is incredibly clean after 18 months.
apart from all the green stuff! lol like i said i am trying to vac it to remove the green algea but it keeps coming back so that might be why it looks cleaner than you would expect for a 18 month old tank. I did have a orange spot goby to keep it turned over but she died about 6 months ago now and i also have a conch but it doenst seem to be making much impact on the green stuff.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
apart from all the green stuff! lol like i said i am trying to vac it to remove the green algea but it keeps coming back so that might be why it looks cleaner than you would expect for a 18 month old tank. I did have a orange spot goby to keep it turned over but she died about 6 months ago now and i also have a conch but it doenst seem to be making much impact on the green stuff.
I wonder if it is cyanobacteria. This would grow on top of the sand, lift off easily from the sand. Algae attaches firmly to the sand grains. Only sure way to diagnose the growth is with a microscope.

OP
OP
R

Rachelh01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it is cyanobacteria. This would grow on top of the sand, lift off easily from the sand. Algae attaches firmly to the sand grains. Only sure way to diagnose the growth is with a microscope.
it does lift of easily in clumps, I dont have a microscope so is there anywhere (UK) i can send off to who can test it do you know? if it is cyno what is the best way to deal with it?

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use chemiclean and follow directions to a T. I used microbacter 7 and siphoned what I could with water changes. It was a long process but avoided chemiclean. Took a few months. You can use the diy "coral snow" method as well. I had chemiclean but never used it. Also, you can siphon out through a filter sock and into a bucket or back into the sump so you dont have to change water everytime you siphon it out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back