HELP PLEASE! Drywall dust in reef tank :(

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve been doing some drywall work after our basement flooded and we needed to cut out and put in new drywall. Taking out the drywall was quick and I left my tank covered the whole day. A little dust got in but not much. Now we’re putting in new drywall and there’s dust everywhere. I had my tank covered, but took off the plastic to feed my fish and do a quick water change (nitrates were getting high). After I finished I noticed a good amount of dust in there and I’m praying everything is ok. If anyone has done/seen anything like this, please help me out. I keep running into problems left and right, but this one seems like the biggest one of them all.

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drywall is made up of NON TOXIC calcium sulfate dihydrate

Non factor to your tank.

Order a pizza and watch a movie

The drywall we put up is the anti mold stuff and I hear is had additives that are toxic to fish and coral. Thank you for reassurance

Upvote 0

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drywall we put up is the anti mold stuff and I hear is had additives that are toxic to fish and coral. Thank you for reassurance
Mold-resistant drywall typically comes in two forms – either with a gypsum core and fiberglass facing or with gypsum material consistent throughout the drywall (also known as homogeneous).

Gypsum is a soft sulfate mineral composed of calcium sulfate dihydrate, with the chemical formula CaSO. 4·2H2O. It is widely mined and is used as a fertilizer and as the main constituent in many forms of plaster, blackboard/sidewalk chalk, and drywall.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mold-resistant drywall typically comes in two forms – either with a gypsum core and fiberglass facing or with gypsum material consistent throughout the drywall (also known as homogeneous).

Gypsum is a soft sulfate mineral composed of calcium sulfate dihydrate, with the chemical formula CaSO. 4·2H2O. It is widely mined and is used as a fertilizer and as the main constituent in many forms of plaster, blackboard/sidewalk chalk, and drywall.
We have the homogeneous drywall. Is that more dangerous or harmless?

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back