**HELP PLEASE** Radion G5 / G6 RMS Single Arm Mount Tightening Knob Popped Off While On Tank **HELP PLEASE!!**

MikeyD1182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my xr15 g5 blue leds leaning more then I liked so when I tightened the mount arm a little to the tank so it was more upright the knob popped off and the bottom bracket fell into my waterbox aio sump and I caught the light luckily. Now the adjustment metal mount bolt won’t stay in the bracket when tightened to the tank even a little bit. Idk how to find or look for this tightening bolt part to replace this and I now can’t use my light until this is remedied which I would like to fix asap so my coral don’t start to have issues. Hers photos of what I’m talking about in reference to the parts I’m talking about.
I don’t think I trust super glue to hold this metal bolt to the inside of the plastic knob.

Any and all help will be appreciated!!

Ps I think I posted in the wrong section of this forum before so I think this may be the right place, I’m not sure.

IMG_4363.jpeg IMG_4364.jpeg IMG_4365.jpeg IMG_4366.jpeg IMG_4367.jpeg IMG_4370.jpeg

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jb weld epoxy might work. I can’t see well, but if it’s just plastic to metal it should be fine

OP
OP
MikeyD1182

MikeyD1182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@A_Blind_Reefer, It is just plastic to metal, on the other post I made but in the wrong section it was recommended to use super glue and since I had that on hand I put a bunch of superglue gel in the knob and pressed the bolt into it and I’m letting it dry as we speak so I hope that’s enough to make it work.

OP
OP
MikeyD1182

MikeyD1182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@A_Blind_Reefer well actually the center of the hole on the knob is plastic but the sleeve the bolt pushes into is metal as well. I’m hoping the metal end of the bolt will adhere to the plastic tip inside the bolts sleeve and to the metal sleeve that surrounds the bolt. Sorry if this sounds crazy but idk how else to describe what’s going on and or the actual parts names.

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@A_Blind_Reefer, It is just plastic to metal, on the other post I made but in the wrong section it was recommended to use super glue and since I had that on hand I put a bunch of superglue gel in the knob and pressed the bolt into it and I’m letting it dry as we speak so I hope that’s enough to make it work.

You could also use a flat tip screwdriver to tighten the bolt. Just turn it like a screw. I'd hand tighten it first, then finish with a screwdriver.

OP
OP
MikeyD1182

MikeyD1182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rennurdoar There is no where to tighten it down as that slit in the bolt gets pressed into the knob.

Attachments

• IMG_4371.jpeg
    IMG_4371.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4372.jpeg
    IMG_4372.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 30

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@A_Blind_Reefer well actually the center of the hole on the knob is plastic but the sleeve the bolt pushes into is metal as well. I’m hoping the metal end of the bolt will adhere to the plastic tip inside the bolts sleeve and to the metal sleeve that surrounds the bolt. Sorry if this sounds crazy but idk how else to describe what’s going on and or the actual parts names.
Hopefully the superglue will work. You might be able to get them to send you a replacement if you contact them

OP
OP
MikeyD1182

MikeyD1182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it works as well and I will contact them on Monday since they aren’t open on weekends.

OP
OP
MikeyD1182

MikeyD1182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean without the knob on :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

If the glue doesn't work, was offering it as another option :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
So actually trying to tighten the mount with just the bolt doesn’t work at all since the bolt will just continue to thread through until it falls out on the other end. Not having the knob on the other end causes lack of tension therefore the mount falls apart from the slight lean forward the lights have.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So actually trying to tighten the mount with just the bolt doesn’t work at all since the bolt will just continue to thread through until it falls out on the other end. Not having the knob on the other end causes lack of tension therefore the mount falls apart from the slight lean forward the lights have.
I don't understand.
If the head were still attached, you must only need to thread the bolt in so far.
Without the head, why would you continue threading it passed that point?

The plastic head looks like it had a flat protrusion inside to fit into the top slot on the threaded rod.
Seems like it would still work even if it wasn't adhered.

Wait, maybe you mean the head actually holds another part on,,, so then I'd go with the following:

To get it to stay as one piece (plastic to metal), I'd think any decent 2-part epoxy would work.

Good luck...

My local Ace Hardware has a good selection of threaded hand knobs like this.
If you figure out the thread size/pitch and measure the length, you could search Amazon for "threaded hand knob" and try to find the right size.

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How good are you at DIY?

I'm thinking drill thru the Knob and install a pin(roll pin, spring pin, ect) so that it will replace that plastic tang in the Knob. Then glue it back together. That plastic tang in the Knob looks like toast anyway.

This could also be done after assembled.
Glue together then drill thru both then pin it. You would drill thru the plastic and metal shaft this way.

Screenshot_20230603_210945_Chrome~2.jpg Screenshot_20230603_211439_Chrome.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back