Help please!

jbarnett12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank just finished cycling. Was going to do a water change and get my first inhabitants tomorrow. But my return pump just made a weird noise and a puff of smoke came out. Also a burnt motor smell. The pump was still working but I unplugged it. What do I do?? Do I need to do a 100% WC? It's a IM fusion. 10 gal tank

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a 100% water change in a 10 gallon should be a nice precautionary move. I would pull the pump and take it apart, see what happened on the inside. If it is a cheap pump than might just be worth replacing rather than trying to fix it.

OP
OP
J

jbarnett12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a 100% water change in a 10 gallon should be a nice precautionary move. I would pull the pump and take it apart, see what happened on the inside. If it is a cheap pump than might just be worth replacing rather than trying to fix it.
Thanks.. just got the pump out and tested in bowl of water and it is surging so pump is bad I'm guessing.. it was the one that came with the tank. I'll go buy a new one tomorrow I guess and do water change also. Should I still be good to go to put fish and whatever in the tank once I do a water change??

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So most likely the bacterial growth in the rocks and substrate shouldn't be affected by the pump burning out. I would get a new pump working then do a 100% water change. Would check parameters 24 hours later but wouldn't expect another cycle.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back