Help Plz w First lighting upgrade - SB Reef 32 wifi

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it's my first tank and my first lighting upgrade. Tank is nearing 8 mo old, has matured quite well, and I've preserved my upper floors for sps. The old AI Sol Whites just aren't punchy enough. Running 100 blue and as white as I can stand it, 50%, I barely touch 200 par on my uppermost scape.

I have questions regarding transitioning from a legacy, limited spectrum light to a more modern and powerful one, but I also know very little about lighting in general. I believe I have more than enough power and am more than willing to sacrifice raw par for diffuse even coverage. The canopy doesn't spill light. In the medium term, I have no desire to exceed 350 or 375 par anywhere on my rock and need to preserve some lower zones below 100.

I'm placing a 32" SB WifiExtreme about 11" above tank, probly just over a foot above waterline. Open top canopy and homemade diffuser. This is replacing two old AI Sol Whites (90 watts) that I was running at 100B, 50W. Tank is 3' long, 2' deep, 18" front to back.

It's a mixed reef that just touches 100 par @ sandbed, but only bc I have the whites well up. With blues only, it was like 40.
I'm concerned about shocking the corals. I don't think they've ever seen UV since I've had them.

Am thinking high 20's on blues and maybe 10sh on whites with a slow ramp up of 2-3% a week until the tank tells me to stop? Any insights on the moon lights/UV?

I have to have the tank lights on by 8a.m. so I can feed the fish before work. I like to be able to see the tank until at least 10 or 10:30p.m. I had been:
- ramping blues to full 8-9:30a.m.
- ramping whites to 50 9:30-11
- whites ramp down to 15% 5-6:30p.m., blues ramp down to 60%
- fade to black 9:30-10:30p.m.

NOT an expert on lighting. Is my photoperiod too long? Is it more a matter of duration or intensity? Is it acceptable to use moons and low blues to maintain view-ability late into the evening, provided the tank still gets a solid 9 hours of true darkness, or am I being greedy?

Acans, euphylia, galaxea, pipe organ, blasto, mushies/zoas, cyphastrea, gonis, leptoseris, chalice, and favias middle to lower... a few stick frags and an encrusting monti middle to top.

Last edited:

Bubbythebull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a long photo period, 15hrs and I can attest it's not an issue.corals can adapt to any lighting structure as long as they aren't shocked. It has to be gradual change. What's the point of pouring Al this time and love and money Into a hobby if you can't enjoy it. It's a great joy to wake up to a reef also waking and coming home to a happy reef tank

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back