Help, power went out , fish not doing good

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mbnym74
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
It's a brand name for a battery backup. They are usually used for computers.
 
A battery backup will only last you so long, with heaters it would be less that 10 minutes. So budget your power wisely. An automated generator to run a house usually starts around 10 grand. You can pick up a decent one from Craigslist for 500 that will power most of the house and wire it up yourself. On gasoline you usually can go 8+ hours without refilling. I'm in the process of setting up a manual transfer switch for the generator with a conversion kit to natural gas, so that will keep me running indefinitely. My apex is hooked up to the battery backup so if it goes out I get a text message. You do need a battery backup on the cable modem and router as well though assuming that doesn't get cut off. We had a branch take out our power and that made me get my things in order. Hope everything turns out ok for you.
 
A battery backup will only last you so long, with heaters it would be less that 10 minutes. So budget your power wisely. An automated generator to run a house usually starts around 10 grand. You can pick up a decent one from Craigslist for 500 that will power most of the house and wire it up yourself. On gasoline you usually can go 8+ hours without refilling. I'm in the process of setting up a manual transfer switch for the generator with a conversion kit to natural gas, so that will keep me running indefinitely. My apex is hooked up to the battery backup so if it goes out I get a text message. You do need a battery backup on the cable modem and router as well though assuming that doesn't get cut off. We had a branch take out our power and that made me get my things in order. Hope everything turns out ok for you.
I have a cyber power 1500 is has an output of 900w for an estimated 129 minutes. So with 2 power heads at 20 watts and 1 heater at 150 watts I'm thinking I'll be fine for many hours.
 
Wish I'd known about this before I bought a generator.
Do you just plug everything in to the APC? Not sure how it works.
Generator is definitely the thing to buy but you need to be home unless it's wired into your home for it to work lol. Battery backups are good for when you're not around and usually bad things happen then.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new