• .5+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TacticalKnight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having trouble matching the ammonia color to the chart. Is it 0ppm or .5 I can't tell.

unnamed (67).jpg unnamed (66).jpg unnamed (65).jpg

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 0. The API ammonia test is not well regarded. You might think of getting another test like Salifert.

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s .5, but the difference between .25 and 0 is impossible to discern. API Ammonia is great for FW but this is the exact scenario that makes it nerve wracking for SW.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
close enough to call it zero.
I assume this is in the context of cycling - I'd say it did not clearly show ammonia.
In the context of an established tank, you won't get useful info from the test like that.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the context of an established tank, you won't get useful info from the test like that.
I take this back. You can distinguish a couple of tenths ppm ammonia. You just need a known blank.
Take a water bottle of your tank water, add a finger-sized sprig of chaeto, a sprinkle of GAC, add one drop of vodka. Put in an airstone and give it light.
I did this with tank water spiked to 0.25ppm ammonia and it went to solid zero in a couple of hours.
So then you'll have a known "zero" you can compare to. Then you can tell the difference of a couple of tenths ppm ammmonia.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also handy here

We can tell what ammonia is at in the tank if we can see a pic of the tank that reading came from

ammonia unsafe in your tank is cloudy water, animals dying, fish darting about or hovering at surface for air due to gill damage, tight retraction of corals, CUC dead as they’re weak to non control. Something above hundredths ppm is happening

vs

ammonia running in the thousandths ppm as if you had a working seneye meter reading ammonia: happy fish clean water corals opened cuc acting fine- every tank I’ve ever seen posting those levels above.

there is no middle ground, it’s not possible for reefs to hold at .25 or .5, not even 1st day cycling reefs (using bottle bac, per seneye tracked cycles)

free ammonia either compounds fast or is totally controlled by our surface area no middle ground allowed

so, post a tank pic to reveal your ammonia levels we wouldn’t need any tester to discern the level. If this is a cycling tank, discerning a start date then we only need to know if you dosed ammonia higher than that and it came down to that level above, to know if you are done cycling.

i like how we all have customized ways to read api lol that’s awesome. Five years ago all this bacteria would be stated dead, tank not ready, stalled etc solely off that reading above with no tank pic context. Off that one read, he would be advised to add or buy bottled bac to unstick the reading

I vote .5 for the reading, but .005 for the actual tank nh3

post pics we can add this to our false stalled cycle thread when updated

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back