Help! Red Dragon Acropora Bleaching

  • Thread starter Thread starter Aedanmor
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Aedanmor

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
39
Reaction score
20
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi gang,

I came back from a biz trip recently and discovered my red dragon acropora is bleaching from the bottom. I did a parameter test and noticed two things that I’ve addressed right away. Not sure if these are the cause or if there’s something else you’d recommend checking.

Parameters:
Salinity: 1.023 Sg
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: .35 ppm
Calcium: 300 ppm (I know this one is low and have double dosed it today)
Alkalinity: 8dKH
pH: 8.2
Temperature: 65F. (Yikes! Heater was unplugged)

So, the question is if Calcium or Temp Could cause this. When I do water changes, I buy cleaned natural sea water from my LFS.

What else could cause this? Also, is it possible for it to come back?

Thank you for reading!


236a0c7254484778ad24bd692be35992.jpg
fe2237d4c86734157f4fa86c410bd141.jpg
 
I'm afraid that's not bleaching, but Tissue Necrosis (RTN/STN). Could be the temperature drop, or instability in general (especially a too quick of a rise in temp in your case).

If you're unlucky, it'll be completely white within a few hours, that's RTN. I'd frag it ASAP, well above the dead tissue and mount to a plug, that might save some of it.
 
I'm afraid that's not bleaching, but Tissue Necrosis (RTN/STN). Could be the temperature drop, or instability in general (especially a too quick of a rise in temp in your case).

If you're unlucky, it'll be completely white within a few hours, that's RTN. I'd frag it ASAP, well above the dead tissue and mount to a plug, that might save some of it.
^^^This^^^
That is usually cause by parameter swing. Happen to me many times with red dragon, I rarely able to save it. But you should try fragging it and might able to save a frag or 2.
 
thanks for the quick answers. Is that something that is contagious to other sps or lps corals?
 
Well, sadly it didn’t make it. But at least now I know how to frag.
 
Yep these red dragons are tough if you've got swings like that. 65F will do the trick. Frag pieces of it if you can...
 
Same exact thing happening to my colony right now that I’ve had for about 2 years. Just frag, keep parameters as stable as possible and hope for the best.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new