Help setting up jbj 28

SteelerMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a jbj 28 at a reef club auction a while back and am getting ready to set it up. There is nothing in the back of the tank, no pumps, no media basket, nothing. My question is, what should I put back there? I was thinking maybe to maxi jet 750's for pumps? And making a media basket rom some acrylic I have and then adding a heater. I have a Koralia for circulation inside the tank. Would this work? Any advice would be welcomed. TIA

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded in size from my 28 JBJ. Great tank! I actually took the media basket out and in its place put a Tunze 9002 skimmer. Its a snug fit but it does work and works well. The Maxi 750 are what I used. Did you get the jbj ocean pulse wave maker along with the tank? What are you going to put in the tank? What lighting did you get?

Eternal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep that would work. The original pumps that it came with are closer to maxi jet 1200's but with your koralia maybe you have enough flow.

OP
OP
SteelerMike

SteelerMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded in size from my 28 JBJ. Great tank! I actually took the media basket out and in its place put a Tunze 9002 skimmer. Its a snug fit but it does work and works well. The Maxi 750 are what I used. Did you get the jbj ocean pulse wave maker along with the tank? What are you going to put in the tank? What lighting did you get?

I did not get the wave maver. Only came with the tank, no hood or anything. It is actually for my 12 year old son. He went to the auction with me (I was there getting some rock for my 125, my first tank as well). I plan on having him do a few small fish and some easy to keep soft corals, like mushrooms, leathers etc.

As for lighting, I actually have the PC hood with 3 moonlight LEDs for the biocube 29. When I bought the tank I was told it was a BC29, after getting the light I quickly discovered it was not. It still fits but hangs off each corner by about a 1/2 inch. I got a great deal on the hood and a stand so it will have to do for now. My son is obviously on a tight budget (I am going half with him on everything we buy) so we can possibly upgrade down the road.

He is very interested in the hobby, so I am making him read a few books and learn as he goes. We have gone to an auction and frag swap together and the family addiction is growing! :wink:

OP
OP
SteelerMike

SteelerMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so this may be a dumb question, but in trying to fit the maxijets in the back of the tank do you just take the intake cover off of the impeller? I can't seem to fit it in there since it comes with a large cone like cover over it. It fit's, but very akwardly.

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so this may be a dumb question, but in trying to fit the maxijets in the back of the tank do you just take the intake cover off of the impeller? I can't seem to fit it in there since it comes with a large cone like cover over it. It fit's, but very akwardly.

Hi SteelerMike,

Not sure if you already found the answer, but you would probably have to remove the strainers to make the pumps fit. Hope this helps.

Chris R.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 114 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back