Help settle a debate

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, me and a buddy were talking fish tanks and got on the topic of tap water. What we couldnt agree on was, if you use tap water for water changes and run GFO ,the phosphate issue would be taken care of. What are your opinions ? As we could not agree.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, me and a buddy were talking fish tanks and got on the topic of tap water. What we couldnt agree on was, if you use tap water for water changes and run GFO ,the phosphate issue would be taken care of. What are your opinions ? As we could not agree.
Phosphate isnt so much the issue as the other harmful contaminants in tap water. Chlorine, chloramines, lead, copper, ammonia, nitrate and phosphate...the list goes on. So in theory yes gfo could remove the phosphates in tap water, but it's the other stuff you've gotta look out for o_O

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Phosphate in tap water is not my main concern (copper is), but any way of dealing with it (if present) can be suitable, including GFO.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copper, lead, sediment, lots of nutrients depending on where you live.

if the debate was just phosphate, yeah GFO will take care of it. But the debate should be is tap water a good idea? Not in my world but I have a pricey set up.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copper, lead, sediment, lots of nutrients depending on where you live.

if the debate was just phosphate, yeah GFO will take care of it. But the debate should be is tap water a good idea? Not in my world but I have a pricey set up.
Really depends on the water you have in your tap, like I said I maintain my own well that I pretty much maintain for aquarium use

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back