help starting a saltwater tank

Frankie4229

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my name Frankie Can someone help me? I'm looking to start a saltwater tank. About a 65 gallon with an overflow. Can someone tell me what I need so the pet shop does not rip me off. Thanks

canister guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you will be using a wet dry with the overflow? Plenty of media.. I use seachem for all my media. Protein skimmer is next most important. A heater. Live sand if that's what your gonna use. Sea water or a mix. Live rock. Also if you plan on using. I also have a uv sterilizer. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Hope this helps

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on how much you're ready to spend and what type of tank you want to have (reef, fowlr or fish only with no live rock). I would start by getting a tank with stand, possibly canopy, then start looking at lighting. From there you'll want to figure out filtration, canister, refugium or a sump setup, but it sounds like you're going with a sump setup. After that then you're looking at under the tank equipement, pumps, heaters, sterilzers, chillers if needed, dosers, skimmers and the list goes on. I have a simple setup with a HOB refugium and a 4 bulb t5ho light fixture. In the refugium I'm running my heater, a nano protein skimmer (tank is 26g bowfront), with some chaeto and sea lettuce.

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Iv only been in the hobby for about a year and a half but if iv learned anything its to plan before you buy. Online is an amazing tool so do your research. Believe me when I say doung the research now can save you a ton down the road. I have so many spare parts because of buying to much or the wrong thing.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R
You have a lot of good advice so far. Make your wish list with a budget, do your research on your wish list and ask questions. Do not try to go the less expensive route, half the time one ends up replacing the less expensive stuff anyway.
My wish list would be
Good DC return pump that can be controlled by a controller
Good skimmer with a DC pump for the size of your system, but not to big
Good lights are a must with adjustability/spectrum. Some light produce heat and that will be something to deal with later on.
Good heater
Spend some money of powerheads/pumps that can be adjusted
Look at a controller to watch over your system. They can be pricy but well worth the piece of mind that your good heat does not get stuck on, and cooks your tank. Controller are also nice to have for feeding, clean/maintenance. With a controller one can shut down certain pumps and other elements for different tasks of if some should fail.

I hope this help you out a bit and please feel free to ask member here:)

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my name Frankie Can someone help me? I'm looking to start a saltwater tank. About a 65 gallon with an overflow. Can someone tell me what I need so the pet shop does not rip me off. Thanks

Hey Frankie,
Welcome to the forum!
Congratulations with your new adventures:)
What fish do you want to get?

Zhenya

OP
OP
F

Frankie4229

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Frankie,
Welcome to the forum!

Zhenya
Sorry I didn't reply, but I'm looking at 90g. Don't know which company makes a good tank but I'm looking at tangs, pigmy angels clowns something like that

OP
OP
F

Frankie4229

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Iv only been in the hobby for about a year and a half but if iv learned anything its to plan before you buy. Online is an amazing tool so do your research. Believe me when I say doung the research now can save you a ton down the road. I have so many spare parts because of buying to much or the wrong thing.
Thanks

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I just wanted to take a moment to say welcome to reef2reef as you have noticed there are tons of people with knowledge and dedication to help us newcomers Endeavor on our saltwater Adventures. People have showing you a lot of directions to go which will help you with your beginning if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask everybody enjoys being part of watching somebody blossom again welcome to reef2reef and welcome home

OP
OP
F

Frankie4229

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Frankie,
Welcome to the forum!

Zhenya
Soooo sorry, it's been very busy for me but I've ordered my tank and stand from sc aquarium ( kind of frustrated with them. Let's hope the tank is worth it and it's now going to be a 100gl.) I'm looking at dwarf angels, purple tang and still researching what other fish I can add.

OP
OP
F

Frankie4229

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I just wanted to take a moment to say welcome to reef2reef as you have noticed there are tons of people with knowledge and dedication to help us newcomers Endeavor on our saltwater Adventures. People have showing you a lot of directions to go which will help you with your beginning if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask everybody enjoys being part of watching somebody blossom again welcome to reef2reef and welcome home
Sorry for the late response just been very busy but thanks

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

I buy full setups on Craigslist and replace the glass because I don't trust old glass.

The link by DBL above is a great resource :)

OP
OP
F

Frankie4229

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you will be using a wet dry with the overflow? Plenty of media.. I use seachem for all my media. Protein skimmer is next most important. A heater. Live sand if that's what your gonna use. Sea water or a mix. Live rock. Also if you plan on using. I also have a uv sterilizer. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Hope this helps
Hey maybe you can help me I'm trying to find out what type of glue and primer to use for my PVC I'm about to do my own plumbing for my time

OP
OP
F

Frankie4229

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning to everyone out there trying to get a little bit a help I'm about to do some plumbing for my tank I don't know what kind of glue and primer to use for the PVC never done this before and it's going to be over 20 years since I've done a saltwater tank anyone knows please help me out

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back