Help, temperature got to warm

turok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temperature got up to 85? in my 65gal frag tank, bare bottom.
Over the next few days, all my snails died and all my green algae that were growing on my frags died/disappeared also.
All my polyps are closed. A few are melting.
My 2 tangs and peppermint shrimps are still alive, eating, swimming...
About that time, I noticed my skimmer was leaking all the bad stuff back into my sump.
Now the AquaC 180 doesn't seems to be working, it blows bubbles, but doesn't make enough bubbles to raise to the top. I think there is something in the water.

going to pick a test kit and post parameters when I get home.

I changed 25 liters of water.

What should I do now?

change ALL the water? or let the tank recycle.

I placed all the frags I could into my 18 cube tank last night.

brown algae is starting to grow back onto my sides of my glass...

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature getting to 85 wouldn't do all that damage unless it was a sudden shift in temp. or 5 degrees or more (like after a water change). My tanks have gotten up to 85/86 for a couple of days last year with no ill effects. I would definitely test the water. The skimmer leaking back into the tank is definitely a very bad thing. I had this happen once and the little that leaked back devestated one of my war coral colonies. Sorry to hear about your troubles and gl.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As was said a gradual temp change would not effect to that point. A few sensitive corals may be stressed but a tital 180 in tank. If you have a constant high temp for a long time that will effect the corals. But a few days taking hours to increase to 85, Mine as done that when my chiller went bad. The tank stats need to be checked for sure and you can put some carbon on the tank to help get the water better, but do not over do the carbon or you could get a shift in PH or Alk. I would check the skimmer if it was overflowing chances are it was running the water too high into the chamber and causing it to overflow. So something may have been off before it poured into your tank.

OP
OP
T

turok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the waste tubing got disconnected to the waste tank. and was just dripping into my sump.
I raised and lowered the sump water level, trying to figure out why my skimmer is not bubbling enough for the bubbles to overflow into the catch chamber on top of the skimmer so it can drain into my waste tank.
I think there is something in the water.
should I change more water?

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer does that when I epoxy stuff in the tank. Just run some carbon and do a small water change. It should clear up skimmer wise.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying to figure out what 25 liters is. Isn't that about 6 gallons? You can do a 25% change that would only help not hurt. If your nitrates or phosphates are on the high side because of the skimmer backfire I would do a 30%. Also use carbon it will help clear your tank of nasty chemicals that may be causing your skimmer not work right.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 140 40.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 171 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 31 9.1%
Back