HELP: Trachyphyllia not opening

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi reefers, I just got a trachy last week. It was doing fine first few days. It opened during the day and takes frozen mysis. However, last couple, I’ve noticed that it closed up during the day. Today, I saw that one of its mouth is open. It is placed next to a scoly on the sand and scoly is doing well. Not to mention, I had a plate coral which closed for couple weeks and eventually melted this week (I have another plate coral right next to it and it’s been doing great)
Here’s my parameters:
Salinity: 1.026
Nitrate: 3
Phosphate: 0.01 (trying to get it up with extra feeding this week)
Calcium: 410
Alk: 8.3
Mag: 1260

Any idea what’s going on? How can I save it?
IMG_6575.jpeg

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Scoly and trachy touched each other when fully inflated at first, but I moved the trachy away. I didn’t see physical damage on Trachy. Do they sting each other?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it likes low light and low flow. My trachy took about 5-6 months before it finally looked fluffy and happy. Not all corals can acclimate in hours, some corals take days, or weeks, or even months.

To me, you corals look fine, I don't see skeleton or any other damage, I would suggest to leave it alone.

With that said, you phosphate and nitrate are very low for lps corals.

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
it likes low light and low flow. My trachy took about 5-6 months before it finally looked fluffy and happy. Not all corals can acclimate in hours, some corals take days, or weeks, or even months.

To me, you corals look fine, I don't see skeleton or any other damage, I would suggest to leave it alone.

With that said, you phosphate and nitrate are very low for lps corals.
Thank you! It concerned me because the trachy fully inflated for a day or two then deflated

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It concerned me because the trachy fully inflated for a day or two then deflated
same with me, it inflated the first day, then got skinny for about 6 months, then was fluffy and happy all the time. Give it time, but also keep a close eye on your low nutrients. Long term the coral will need nitrate and phosphate. My phosphate is at .1 and nitrates usually between 10 and 20.

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It inflates a little today. Didn’t know that trachy can be sensitive like that. Thanks for the info

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back