GSP not opening

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey y’all I’ve had my Gsp for awhile now and the last couple of days one part hasn’t been opening. It looks like it has some hair alage on it which I removed. ANYTGING else that can be bothering it?

I had some on the glass I glued and it died after a week…..

A66E6653-5C3D-4454-AE63-DEACE6281A8E.jpeg 72DB7051-CF59-4412-86C3-593AAE03141F.jpeg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the left picture, it looks like a fish is sitting on it :) That will annoy it causing it to close.

Do you have any fish in your tank that perches? Like a hawk fish? Or anything else that can be annoying it?

It may just need a couple of days after you removing algae from it to fully recover.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On the left picture, it looks like a fish is sitting on it :) That will annoy it causing it to close.

Do you have any fish in your tank that perches? Like a hawk fish? Or anything else that can be annoying it?

It may just need a couple of days after you removing algae from it to fully recover.
Yes the goby loves to perch on the GSP. However for the past months it would lay in the GSP and the Gsp would not close up only with my touch did it close, for the fish it WOUOD stay open when they lay on it

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the goby loves to perch on the GSP. However for the past months it would lay in the GSP and the Gsp would not close up only with my touch did it close, for the fish it WOUOD stay open when they lay on it
That would be my bet though! :) My GSP or indeed any other of my corals do not like my two hawk fish to perch on them.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That would be my bet though! :) My GSP or indeed any other of my corals do not like my two hawk fish to perch on them.
I feel you, when my shrimp goes near it it closes, but for some reason it loves my clown goby and lets it soak it up! Lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey y’all I’ve had my Gsp for awhile now and the last couple of days one part hasn’t been opening. It looks like it has some hair alage on it which I removed. ANYTGING else that can be bothering it?

I had some on the glass I glued and it died after a week…..

A66E6653-5C3D-4454-AE63-DEACE6281A8E.jpeg 72DB7051-CF59-4412-86C3-593AAE03141F.jpeg
Often, main reasons are low flow or too bright of light and high phosphates. My suspicion is flow which should be moderate to medium

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try and replace my wave maker! It has been getting less powerful
If it's been getting less powerful start by cleaning it :smiling-face: might just get that power back if you suspect thats your issue..

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I will try and replace my wave maker! It has been getting less powerful
Pull the cage off and remove the impeller blade part, clean with a toothbrush and clean magnet also and the hole. Rinse out and reassemble- Should run normal again - Likely full of mulm- slime

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pull the cage off and remove the impeller blade part, clean with a toothbrush and clean magnet also and the hole. Rinse out and reassemble- Should run normal again - Likely full of mulm- slime
Hello so happily this gsp is open and beautiful again however the gsp I glued to the back glass is dying, should I just glue a plug with Gsp on it for better results. I feel like the glue on the base of the Gsp killed it

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello so happily this gsp is open and beautiful again however the gsp I glued to the back glass is dying, should I just glue a plug with Gsp on it for better results. I feel like the glue on the base of the Gsp killed it
That will do it as it at lights out retracts and reopens from pores when lights are on

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back