help Understanding DkH trends

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello
I have been running my alkatronic for 6 weeks now. I can see that my DKH seems to be pretty stable- I believe it is.

I do see small fluctuations and am trying to figure out what they mean or have any meaning at all.

I do understand coral consumption a dkH goes up and down. I realize that these are very minute changes, but I am trying to get a better understanding of how dkH trends and what effects it. I get dkH my go higher at night, but not sure why it would during the day.

Tank Info:
Tank is 5 months old
I dose 1500ml of Kalkwasser.
The alkatroinic is testing 4 times a day
Have some Small SPS- very small
have several colonies of torches, hammers and frogspawn
Everything is doing well
1651613375602.png

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the kalkwasser on a drip?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using my DOS with a Kalk Stirrer. 1500ml over 24 hours
I would say it’s your kalkwasser, doing the small fluctuations, if you look at the test run at 13:00 in the past few days the dkh and ph are almost identical in all of the test made at that time.
You could try and spread the doses more if possible, if you want to reduce the fluctuations.

OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would say it’s your kalkwasser, doing the small fluctuations, if you look at the test run at 13:00 in the past few days the dkh and ph are almost identical in all of the test made at that time.
You could try and spread the doses more if possible, if you want to reduce the fluctuations.
thanks for the reply. You are probably right that it is the Kalk

What is considered a "stable" dkH? Am I incorrect to think that my dkH is stable?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the reply. You are probably right that it is the Kalk

What is considered a "stable" dkH? Am I incorrect to think that my dkH is stable?
They both seem fine to me as stability goes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure that any of these alk changes are statistically significant against the expected error of the machine, but in general, there's more alk use in a reef tank during the day, so if alk were to be dosed evenly 24/7, one would expect lower alk near the end of the light cycle and higher alk at the beginning of it.

OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm not sure that any of these alk changes are statistically significant against the expected error of the machine, but in general, there's more alk use in a reef tank during the day, so if alk were to be dosed evenly 24/7, one would expect lower alk near the end of the light cycle and higher alk at the beginning of it.
makes sense. I also think that my tank is still young (5 months), but even with expected errors, I am interpreting it to be showing some stability.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back