HELP! Waterbox cracked - is it usable? PHOTO

aquatic26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers. I am so disappointed. I've been cycling my Waterbox 15 for two weeks and was doing a water change (used tap to cycle to establish rock, long story) and just noticed when refilling with fresh salt water that the black glass that separates the aquarium from the filtration chamber is cracked!!! I have no idea how this happened as the tank has just been sitting there with no filter sock even inside while it cycles. The tank itself is not leaking and there are no other cracks than in this one space. I was hoping to get my two clowns today from my LFS. If the tank itself is not leaking and has no cracks to the exterior, is it safe to add them? I was on the fence about doing the Waterbox 20 cube... I guess this just made my decision easy...

IMG-7871.jpg

OP
OP
A

aquatic26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it appears that the crack is on the divider between the display and filtration sections. Its fine, other than aesthetics.
Thank you. Any idea what could have caused this? I'm completely stumped.

kfries

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once tried to use a tank with a cracked corner. Wife thought it was a bad idea. She was right. With it being in the divider the pressure should be equal and unlikely to fracture. Worse case the water leaks into the overflow from the main display. If they give you a replacement it would make a good quarantine tank.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Any idea what could have caused this? I'm completely stumped.
Did you try to reach down into the box and put pressure on the glass?

It probably had a little chip on the edge and the pressure from filling or from working around that area caused the crack to expand.

Be careful putting your hands around the crack so you don’t make it worse or get cut.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell but it looks like damage here.
3233254-629903d97926f2862f593e98f4cbf12f.jpg
Good point! I thought the break was in the pane in front of the broken one.
Clearly Now I can see that the break was a result of manufacturing issues.

That needs to be resolved to prevent issues from stuff moving from the DT into the filtration system.

Sorry.

OP
OP
A

aquatic26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Waterbox did right. They said there was likely damage already there from shipping, I just didn't notice it/was not visible to the naked eye. They offered to replace the entire thing, but I opted for them to send the 20 cube and pay the $60 difference in cost of the two. Not having a custom fit stand for the 15 peninsula really turned me off.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Waterbox did right. They said there was likely damage already there from shipping, I just didn't notice it/was not visible to the naked eye. They offered to replace the entire thing, but I opted for them to send the 20 cube and pay the $60 difference in cost of the two. Not having a custom fit stand for the 15 peninsula really turned me off.
Good for them. They may not even ask you return the current one due to shipping cost and they can't resell it. If that's the case I would seal that baby up with some silicon and run it or sell it with a disclaimer.

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The customer service at Waterbox is great and they seemingly bend over backwards to keep customers happy, its part of the reason I have two of their tanks. As for the old, I agree with others on just adding some silicone to seal the crack and it's still good. QT, second tank, or selling off with a disclaimer.

OP
OP
A

aquatic26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good for them. They may not even ask you return the current one due to shipping cost and they can't resell it. If that's the case I would seal that baby up with some silicon and run it or sell it with a disclaimer.
They are letting me keep the original. If anyone wants a 15 peninsula with a crack, let me know

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are letting me keep the original. If anyone wants a 15 peninsula with a crack, let me know
Dibs!

(Not really. I just wanted to say that.)

So glad the Waterbox folks are ready to do the right thing when an issue arises.

You really should break the tank into tiny pieces and recycle them to keep the market alive for the good folks at Waterbox.

And I call dibs to help destroy the cracked unit!
All That Reaction GIF by Nickelodeon
Destroy Total Destruction GIF by _____William Wolfgang Wunderbar

Last edited:

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dibs!

(Not really. I just wanted to say that.)

So glad the Waterbox folks are ready to go the right thing when an issue arises.

You really should break the tank into tiny pieces and recycle them to keep the market alive for the good folks at Waterbox.

And I call dibs to help destroy the cracked unit!
All That Reaction GIF by Nickelodeon
Destroy Total Destruction GIF by _____William Wolfgang Wunderbar

I'd hold on to that tank!

Think quarantine tank or a spare in case of emergencies.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, Id just remove the AIO baffle and use it. BTW arent those baffles just acrylic? They used to be on the 30g Marine AIO I had 8+ yesrs ago.

Can that baffle be removed?

Ordovician_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox is really good when it comes to standing by their products. I had a minor leak in the plumbing of my 190.5 and the replacement part arrives today.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back