Help, what is attacking my anemones!

sultwaterchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I’m stumped.
I have a 10 gallon set up with two anemones in it.
my set up includes two over the back filters (with rubble) heater, protein skimmer, and kessila120 ocean blue light.
My anemones have been doing great, but a few weeks back. I noticed something on the bottom of my aquarium. I asked around no one knew the answer. I sucked it up in my water change and moved on.
today I noticed my large green anemone not as happy as normal.Upon investigation I see these work type things all over and in the top of it. Ive seen and smelt a few melting anemones and this isn’t one of them. It’s perfectly healthy expect for these Parasites!? Any insight would be lovely! Thank you
B531DA6F-E9F8-4409-A5E1-89E0975F0001.jpeg
B0E9F71F-1376-4E36-A2A3-B130B610E2AD.png
B65612FA-376B-41AB-80D1-C304723BBFB9.png

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, give a look into mesenteric/mesenterial filaments. If they identify with what you see, then you'll come to find out that these are indeed filaments within the body of the anemone, and not a pest.

If i'm not mistaken, this is a defense mechanism. Hope you can find the cause, and that this is a step in the right direction.

All my best to you, fingers crossed

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, definitely mesenterial filaments. They extrude them through scrapes and wounds to ward off predators, so the most likely case is the anemone got scraped by something. I also noticed you have your heater in-tank; it is possible that the nem got burned by it, causing a rash and the filaments to be extruded.
I hope you can find the cause! Good luck and God bless.

OP
OP
sultwaterchick

sultwaterchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, definitely mesenterial filaments. They extrude them through scrapes and wounds to ward off predators, so the most likely case is the anemone got scraped by something. I also noticed you have your heater in-tank; it is possible that the nem got burned by it, causing a rash and the filaments to be extruded.
I hope you can find the cause! Good luck and God bless.
Thank you!!! the heater will be getting unplugged. And I’ll be finding a different solution.

OP
OP
sultwaterchick

sultwaterchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, give a look into mesenteric/mesenterial filaments. If they identify with what you see, then you'll come to find out that these are indeed filaments within the body of the anemone, and not a pest.

If i'm not mistaken, this is a defense mechanism. Hope you can find the cause, and that this is a step in the right direction.

All my best to you, fingers crossed
Thank you!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, looking at the tank it's in, it might need better flow...it might be in that area because the flow from the hob is what it is really attracted to.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Place heater in sump or other side of tank

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back