Help! What is messing with my zoas

  • Thread starter Thread starter 90addict
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

90addict

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2024
Messages
348
Reaction score
338
Location
Delaware
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to reefing in general...I just got my first zoas from a local coral and fish shop. What are these things I find that are messing with them? Are they harming the Pandora's or just annoying it? Lastly, should I try and eradicate them? If so, with what? 55gl with bta, 2 clownfish, cleaner shrimp, sand sifting star and some cuc... Links to YouTube where I uploaded videos





 
They look like amphipods, they are little micro crustaceans, similar to copepods, they are harmless and part of everyones tank. Since you only have 2 fish in a large tank, the population is probably increased at the moment which is why you see them so easily.
 
They look like amphipods, they are little micro crustaceans, similar to copepods, they are harmless and part of everyones tank. Since you only have 2 fish in a large tank, the population is probably increased at the moment which is why you see them so easily.
In your opinion, what fish can I add that is reef safe, that will eat them? My Pandora's won't even open cause of them. They've been closed longer than open today
 
I'm aware that certain kinds of wrasses will eat them, but I;m not sure sorry.

But if you don't mind my being straightforward, the video shows brand new sterile rocks, and with (no offense) "new to reefing", there could be so may other possibilities of the real problem that would be more likely than amphipods bothering the coral.

I'm kind of willing to bet that the likely problem is low nutrients (nitrate and phosphate), zoa's generally like 'dirtier' water but your tank is very new.

If you want to share more details like tank age, parameters, lighting and flow, I'm sure many here can offer suggestions.
 
The tank is pretty "new". 40lbs of live rock and 30lbs of old dry rock that I bleached. Here's my parameters from today at my lfs. Hygger wave maker and light is fluval 3.0
IMG_3771.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new