Help: what lights to get with this 70 gallon reef?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you are describing controlability not neccesarily wifi or not.
If light have controller all the described above is achieved withen the light capabilities..no?
Right that’s why I said I wasn’t sure what a WiFi light was. The reason for WiFi is to control the light Right? The point the other guy was making was that being able to control the light was bad because people
Tinker with it.
Hello,

Have you seen the presentation by @Dana Riddle about lights and par? Of not it may be a good starting point for you to understand the science behind it. In addition what I mean by light color is, I think radions and hydra (which are the same thing no difference same manufacturer, is the way they make corals look I personally don’t like. How many large aquariums do you know and see that use radions and hydra? Their displays are amazing, and they use Chinese black boxes, current usa old t5 and some mh. I have studied with five major aquariums and not one of them use these fancy lights.

Corals need the right amount of everything to grow. Water parameters, flow, food, lights, etc etc. people get the idea oh I have a radion most expensive light. Well so what. Look at how much energy you waste because they are 14 inches above the water. They have huge power supplies and waste it. Are they good lights (for the cost I hope so), but led technology is about the same across the board. Now if you want bells and whistles okay by radions and all the extra non sense that’s their right to do so. But people always compare look at Jason fox corals, which he uses the most expensive equipment. What fun is that? Here’s a challenge make a beautiful reef with cheap equipment, because honestly, I have provided proof, and my other friend who went with radions have struggled because they are way too powerful. We want to grow corals not cook them.

People should research and see what corals they use and the spectrums they like which is normally full spectrum. The pics I posted an hour ago are my normal daylight views and they look great. When the whites shut off yes mine glow also. But the op said he is doing lps and softies, heck you could use the current marine ic pro (which is a few steps below mine), and save 75% and have the same results.

It’s important that the op makes his tank the way they want. Coping someone else’s tank isn’t ideal, it may not work. Every tank is different, every person has a different opinion. Which means what you said is correct, but again that’s your opinion, and that method has worked for you. But, the op needs to find the critical angel to get the best placement. Lights similar to mine eliminate that because they sit right on top of the water and don’t have light bleeding out.

I will also cite other sources from scientific papers and peer reviews that show corals including sps don’t need more than 200 par, to grow and thrive. Yes can you alter colors blasting corals with 800 par. Sure, but you also risk killing them also.
if like to see the research that sps/acorapora grow best at 200 par. Not that they can survive 200 par

OP
OP
P

Peter Jason

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

If your running only lps and softies and actually want to Eliminate hot spots and shadow, then I would use two hydra 26 and space them (if that’s the light your set on. Then I would rent a par meter and find how much par your putting into the tank and then make adjustments. To eliminate shadow effect use the sin and cos and find the critical angle, and You have to compensate with wave makers on and water in the tank. It will change if you do it dry. I used this equation to find my critical angle and it worked well. Used the par meter to dial it in even more.

912E2A4F-D94A-4137-949F-463312E969E7.png 41F3B02E-B9AB-4A14-B95A-FD88B61055E0.png

the sin and cos? and I'll add the angle of the wavemakers. Let me take this equation to my people at the enterprise.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

Have you seen the presentation by @Dana Riddle about lights and par? Of not it may be a good starting point for you to understand the science behind it. In addition what I mean by light color is, I think radions and hydra (which are the same thing no difference same manufacturer, is the way they make corals look I personally don’t like. How many large aquariums do you know and see that use radions and hydra? Their displays are amazing, and they use Chinese black boxes, current usa old t5 and some mh. I have studied with five major aquariums and not one of them use these fancy lights.

Corals need the right amount of everything to grow. Water parameters, flow, food, lights, etc etc. people get the idea oh I have a radion most expensive light. Well so what. Look at how much energy you waste because they are 14 inches above the water. They have huge power supplies and waste it. Are they good lights (for the cost I hope so), but led technology is about the same across the board. Now if you want bells and whistles okay by radions and all the extra non sense that’s their right to do so. But people always compare look at Jason fox corals, which he uses the most expensive equipment. What fun is that? Here’s a challenge make a beautiful reef with cheap equipment, because honestly, I have provided proof, and my other friend who went with radions have struggled because they are way too powerful. We want to grow corals not cook them.

People should research and see what corals they use and the spectrums they like which is normally full spectrum. The pics I posted an hour ago are my normal daylight views and they look great. When the whites shut off yes mine glow also. But the op said he is doing lps and softies, heck you could use the current marine ic pro (which is a few steps below mine), and save 75% and have the same results.

It’s important that the op makes his tank the way they want. Coping someone else’s tank isn’t ideal, it may not work. Every tank is different, every person has a different opinion. Which means what you said is correct, but again that’s your opinion, and that method has worked for you. But, the op needs to find the critical angel to get the best placement. Lights similar to mine eliminate that because they sit right on top of the water and don’t have light bleeding out.

I will also cite other sources from scientific papers and peer reviews that show corals including sps don’t need more than 200 par, to grow and thrive. Yes can you alter colors blasting corals with 800 par. Sure, but you also risk killing them also.
Is this the presentation looking at photosynthetic activity of porites coral in various Hawaiian lagoons? If so I think you might have gotten the wrong message?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

If your running only lps and softies and actually want to Eliminate hot spots and shadow, then I would use two hydra 26 and space them (if that’s the light your set on. Then I would rent a par meter and find how much par your putting into the tank and then make adjustments. To eliminate shadow effect use the sin and cos and find the critical angle, and You have to compensate with wave makers on and water in the tank. It will change if you do it dry. I used this equation to find my critical angle and it worked well. Used the par meter to dial it in even more.

912E2A4F-D94A-4137-949F-463312E969E7.png 41F3B02E-B9AB-4A14-B95A-FD88B61055E0.png

Sarah what is the hobbyist level conclusion of your post..in respect to the OP question ofcourse..?

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor op. This thread is off the rails.

Op should get the light he picked (Ai 26 hydra) and see how it goes with one light if that’s all he wants to spend. He can add another down the line. Or f he’s not happy with the light there is a ready used market here for them.

I’m growing birds nest, bird of paradise, blue tort, montipora and many Euphyllia with just the 2 Ai prime HD’s so op should be ok to start with one 26 hydra. All my own opinions. No studies.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the hydras. I think I will start off with one and go from there. 2 will give me the coverage I need?
if your gonna have LPS one 26 should be enough. Plus as you get more corals, you may decide to get another.
I just bought mine on OfferUp. I got a great deal and they came with mounts too.

Maybe you could just set the tank up and cycle rocks for a while without light.
This will give you time to find the right lighting.

I don’t plan on setting the lights up for a while I just couldn’t pass up the deal.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sarah what is the hobbyist level conclusion of your post..in respect to the OP question ofcourse..?

Hello,

What is the hobbyist level conclusion to my post. I don’t know, I’m not you. What did you get out of my post? I’m simply saying every time I see a light thread everyone says the most expensive lights hydra Ecotech and kessill. Coincidence, or maybe lack of research on other lights? If we are speaking about leds and leds only since that was the topic, 99% of them come from the same place. They have different bells and whistles and that’s what you want it’s okay go for it. If one want to spend all that money it’s there money have at it.

But I’m not going to sit there and tell someone when all they want is what lights can I use, that they must use Ecotech or hydra etc. people can have an amazing tank, with out spending ridiculous amount of money. If your upset at me because I’m not on the band wagon that I must have the most expensive lights, well okay oh well. But riddle me this, my tank is less than 2 years old using current usa marine pro 4117. I provided pics that one can have an amazing reef with out name brand lights and spending 700 on lights for his small cube.

So maybe from a hobbist point of view as myself, I know that not every one can drop 700 on lights. So what are they getting from my post is that, they too can have a gorgeous reef with out spending tons and tons of money. If they want to that’s fine their money, but some don’t have that luxury. I’m simply providing a path and solution where they can enjoy their first reef.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

What is the hobbyist level conclusion to my post. I don’t know, I’m not you. What did you get out of my post? I’m simply saying every time I see a light thread everyone says the most expensive lights hydra Ecotech and kessill. Coincidence, or maybe lack of research on other lights? If we are speaking about leds and leds only since that was the topic, 99% of them come from the same place. They have different bells and whistles and that’s what you want it’s okay go for it. If one want to spend all that money it’s there money have at it.

But I’m not going to sit there and tell someone when all they want is what lights can I use, that they must use Ecotech or hydra etc. people can have an amazing tank, with out spending ridiculous amount of money. If your upset at me because I’m not on the band wagon that I must have the most expensive lights, well okay oh well. But riddle me this, my tank is less than 2 years old using current usa marine pro 4117. I provided pics that one can have an amazing reef with out name brand lights and spending 700 on lights for his small cube.

So maybe from a hobbist point of view as myself, I know that not every one can drop 700 on lights. So what are they getting from my post is that, they too can have a gorgeous reef with out spending tons and tons of money. If they want to that’s fine their money, but some don’t have that luxury. I’m simply providing a path and solution where they can enjoy their first reef.
Got it.
Thank you sarah!

OP
OP
P

Peter Jason

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some motivation for you, these are my 2 systems.
One hydra 52 hd+t5
The other kessil ap700 and supplemental prime hd.
As you can see, hydra or kessil will yield good results since they are good lights. Same applies to ecotech people like them.

So to conclude again: go with a good light and save money on the long run.

If you want LED go with one of the big 3. Get one of their top of the line to avoid going to something week for your system..

If you want T5, they are good as well and produce amazing reefs. Just get the right spectrum. Blues and aktinics and coral plus.

Never used MH but I do not think it's your target anyway.

Good luck choosing.

08540d37ee2c9a7569dbb0f6bfd746c1.jpg
8e9682cda83cee9bb26424bfacf88704.jpg

SUPER JEALOUS. Which tank has which light?

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Peter Jason

Take a look at this video. Starting with a single hydra for LPS should work fine for you.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single puck prime over my 10 gallon. I don’t use close to 100% on any color channels. It grows LPS and clam pretty well. Hydra would be like 2 of these and since it’s the HD you will be able to bring your blue and violet channels up above 100% if you don’t use white red and green at max settings.
Here is my tank,
All LPS started as a frags with 2 heads...
10C3840D-B656-422E-AD49-282D50F4921F.jpeg

Adam_C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Just wanted to throw out another option that is less expensive than the big names. I have one noopsyche k7 pro on my new 20 gallon high SPS build (24x12x16). This light is powerful and provides great coverage, and some nice shimmer. I haven't had time to PAR test on the 20 gallon yet, but I have one on my 90 gallon fitted into Aquatic life t5 Hybrid putting out over 600 PAR when cranked up. I have mine running at around 30% for PAR in the 300s to grow SPS.

As others have mentioned previously, you could start with one of these, or one Hydra 26 and always add another one down the road if you need to. It's great that you're taking time to research this, as there is nothing more annoying than "jumping the gun" on something in this hobby and then regretting it down the road. Good luck on whatever you choose! Here is a link

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/noopsyche-k7-pro-ii-95w.506365/

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Other.

Back