Planning on ordering an IM 200 EXT this fall and need help with equipment

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm currently in the planning stages of my first large reef tank. The largest tank I've ever owned was a 40 breeder with 20 sump for a few years. Due to moving/work/kids I have not been able to setup the large tank I've always dreamed of. However, the wife just oked the 200 and said I can start purchasing equipment over the next 8-10 months before we order the tank setup. So far here's a list of what I'm currently planning on getting.
Tank - IM 200 gallon EXT complete system
Stand - APS stand that comes with tank
Sump - RFS50 Sump
Lights - Unsure maybe AI hydra/T5 combo? Not sure how many I'd need or 32/64? Planning a mixed reef that's a bit heavier on Acros
Powerheads - 2 MP40's and 2 Gyres XF330's
Skimmer - Reef Octo 200 8" (kinda $$$)? A bit unsure here
Controller - Apex w/trident
ATO - Tunze Osmolator 3155
Dosing pumps - No clue lol

I already have hanna testers and salifert kits and a 5 stage 150 gpd rodi. Anything else crucial I seem to be missing? Any help in the areas I'm unsure of would be amazing!

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Reef Octo Regal 200INT 8" in my 280g and am a big fan. It has been really solid for me and easier to dial in than my previous skimmer.

I would recommend using Apex DOS pumps when you need to be able to control it precisely, and just general BRS dosing pumps (that you can plug into the Apex power strip) for things you can run on a timer.

Powerheads seem solid - I have 4 MP40s and am actively looking to add either an AI Orbit (Gyre) or another MP40. For your application I think you will be perfectly fine.

I'd also take a peek at Mega Matrix by Planet Aquarium for the tank/stand. You may have an LFS in your area that you can order it from and they can assist with delivery. Going this route would take out some of the plug and playability of IM, which I know is super valuable to those who don't enjoy DIYing the plumbing.

LiquidSpace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m doing the same thing so I’ll follow along with this. Are you set on the sump? I see a lot of people running this built opt to buy a different one so they can get a filter sock in it.

Pumps look good…I see a lot of recommendations for 4 mp40’s but I’m curious about how your configuration would work out.

I would recommend the Apex DOS too. It’s worked flawlessly for me.

OP
OP
Bribo12

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks both of you guys! Steverino do you think I'd be able to get away with the 6" reef octo on the 200 or just go with the larger 8"? I was thinking the APEX DOS as I'm planning the APEX but just wanted to see if anyone had other options. I'll look at the Mega Matrix but I only have Petsmart, Petco and Pacific East Aquaculture locally and I don't know if any of them would order/deliver. I also am not super diy as I went that route on the 40 and while it worked it was not pretty(lol).

Liquid- I believe I'm gonna go with the sump, from what I was reading I don't think you can really fit a roller in it which some people like but I believe it still can fit filter socks? Maybe? I guess with the 2 mp40s and gyres I can always add another mp40 if flow isn't quite right.

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks both of you guys! Steverino do you think I'd be able to get away with the 6" reef octo on the 200 or just go with the larger 8"? I was thinking the APEX DOS as I'm planning the APEX but just wanted to see if anyone had other options. I'll look at the Mega Matrix but I only have Petsmart, Petco and Pacific East Aquaculture locally and I don't know if any of them would order/deliver. I also am not super diy as I went that route on the 40 and while it worked it was not pretty(lol).

Liquid- I believe I'm gonna go with the sump, from what I was reading I don't think you can really fit a roller in it which some people like but I believe it still can fit filter socks? Maybe? I guess with the 2 mp40s and gyres I can always add another mp40 if flow isn't quite right.
I rely on BulkReefSupply's bioload guidance for skimmers (not saying that's the best to use, just what I have done) and it has the 6" at:

BRS Recommended for tanks up to:
  • Heavy Bioload (Most Common) - 100 Gallons
  • Medium Bioload - 150 Gallons
  • Light Bioload - 210 gallons

I think it depends on how you plan to stock it.... If it were me, I'd probably go up to the 8", if it fits in the sump:

BRS Recommended for tanks up to:
  • Heavy Bioload (Most Common) - 175 Gallons
  • Medium Bioload - 250 Gallons
  • Light Bioload - 400 gallons

Its a couple hundred bucks more, but then you don't have to worry about it again..... ever.

OP
OP
Bribo12

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah if it fits I’ll go with the larger model as I want a relatively heavier stocked tank anyway. And true with not having to worry about it again, thanks!

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the IM EXT 200. You can see my build.
-2 MP40s and the 2 gyres work great.
-I am currently using the hydros system and am happy with it. Lots of people like the apex also. Since calcium and mag do not change that much you really only need to check alk regularly so the X10/iV work well for me. The 4th dosing pump on the X10 also serves as your doser for alk which is nice.
-I have a ton of fish and use the reef octopus regal 150 INT. It works for me but I do have it drain into a plastic bin otherwise I would have to drain the cup a couple times a week. I have to dose nitrates and phosphates so seems to be working ok. I suspect as my fish get bigger I may need the 8". May take a couple years though.
-I did recently hook up a reef octopus CO2 scrubber to help with pH. It seemed to work as my alk consumption has really shot up.
-For lights there are lots of options. I am using redsea with reefbrites and my par is a little too high.
-You will be fine with BRS dosers for a while. Problem with 2 part is your salinity will rise. I will be adding a Kalk stirrer this week to help boost pH and add alk/calcium. If I had to do it over again I would consider starting it sooner. The higher pH supposedly increases growth (which is nice when starting out) and limits the salinity rise with 2 part. Wait a while but maybe around the 1 year mark consider it.
-I am using 2 vectra M2s. One for each return line. I like the redundancy. I have one connected to a UV sterilizer.

Ask me any questions you want. I am 8 months in and still loving this tank.

OP
OP
Bribo12

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks triton! Are you using the sump that comes with it or did you do something else? If you do have the sump are you just using filter socks or a roller?

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the sump it came with. Using filter socks. I got tired of washing them on driveway so I got a portable black and decker washer that hooks to sink. Works well. I wash them once a month or so.

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following up on this .. i have the 170EXT with the same sump, that means my sump is almost as wide as the stand, wish I had thought this thru a bit more. Instead of storing my electronics inside the stand I am using a controller board which hangs on the wall next to the stand.
Another thing to think about is the width of the tank, 30 inch is really wide lighting wise, so I have 2 reefbreeders side by side. My first choice would have been radions but I don’t see how i could make those work. I am thinking of adding 3 kessils for the extra shimmer.
About the sump, you can’t fit a roller filter into the filter sock compartment without cutting off plastic and then only a small one. If you want a roller mat for instance you have to put it in the skimmer section which will make things very tight with a big skimmer.

OP
OP
Bribo12

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Allen, I was thinking of maybe using a controller board as well but with the extra foot on the 200 maybe the electronics would fit underneath?

As far as lighting I was thinking either a few hydra 32s with 6-8 t5s or reefbreeders with t5s. I kinda like the kessil idea for the shimmer.

I’ll probably just run socks in the sump. A roller would be nice but I don’t mind socks. Thanks for all the help everyone.

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think it maybe possible to use the fijicube roller filter. I have the IM EXT100 on the way. Will get some measurements once the tank is here. Else I will have to kludge(DIY) one.
Someone fitted the reefmat 250 in the RFS27 sump. The flow rate is max 900gph though.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back