Help!!!! White slime on everything

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A number of folks have reported issues from scented candles.

In general, any significant delivery of organics to the aquarium has the potential to drive bacterial growth, although rarely is it anything more than an aesthetic problem.

Do you use a skimmer and is it sucking kitchen air? Do you use the vent when cooking things that splatter oil and such?

Thank you for addressing my concern. My temporary tank, a 40B, is set up in the kitchen about 20 ft from the cook top. We do use an exhaust fan. Interestingly, I am having issues. Started with cloudy water. A very expensive and nice candle was burned recently in the kitchen. hmm? I am not currently using a skimmer. Just a HOB large filter, and a powerhead. I never really noted problems before with scented candles, but my DT is a much larger, enclosed, and much further away from the cook top, and the area where the kids burn candles. This is something I will have to pay close attention to over the winter. Thank you.

OP
OP
jlagee

jlagee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BAM! I lost three of my five acans and the two that survived only just now started eating. They still look horrible but are coming around! Absolutely nothing else in the tank was affected.
Meanwhile in pleasantville - I added an awesome little petco torch for a steal. And then I traded for the most awesome torch I’ve ever seen - and BAM it freaking zapped the first torch .... dead overnight and then the new one got even bigger - it’s a murderer.
So now - things are doing perfect.
The circle of life?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it looks like bacteria overdose to me. The carbon pellets are a bad idea. Not having a skimmer is also a bad idea. Having carbon pellets without a skimmer is an exceptionally bad idea -- Skimmers are important for removing excess bacteria. Even those little micro skimmers do an important job.

- Get a mini skimmer -- There is one that fits, I guarantee it. They're getting better every year. There's zero reason or benefit to not have a skimmer.

- Get rid of those pellets. They cause way more problems than they solve.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't / shouldn't really run bio pllets without a skimmer. It's becuse of how skimmer works.

The "majority " of the bacteria are in the Rock and sand. I wrote it differenty to show the word people ignore.
Pellets are putting the majority of the bacteria into your water.

Crab Dynasty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the helpful tips. We ran into the same issue with one of our tanks and the Lugol's worked along with getting the nitrates under control.

joshbridges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if youre still having this probelm trying moving them ,, they could be fighting for resources in the tank (excreteing chems to harm eachother) give them 3-4 inch space and test mag ,calc and ph

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back