Help: Why did 2 bicolor blennys die in a row when my six line is healthy?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I helped my friend purchas a bicolor blenny, skunk shrimp and 6 line last Wednesday from Harrys marine life in LA. Float and cup acclimated them. 6 line is doing well and eating and so is the shrimp. I found the bicolor dead the next day. I replaced him with another bicolor on Friday from a LFS and he passed the next day too. The rest of my tank is doing fine.
What’s going on? I added turbo start day 1 and dose prime daily.
Tank: 29G with Fiji cube AIO.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have to start with disease, we can’t just hesitantly arrive there on page four. Your bottle bac is fine, it’s not weak, post a pic of your tank for proof this isn’t a cycling issue. We need the pic, not readings of cycle params from non digital kits.

adding untreated fish from a pet store is the #1 reason we would begin at disease and then the fact it’s selective vs a tank wiping event would be the second reason. I do not think for one second it’s a parameter issue, those are rare, and your pics are 99% likely to show supporting details where we don’t need testing to eliminate param issues.

a small % chance could be in acclimation the large % chance is disease and the unaffected fish are being selected for vs against, for some reason.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait to see what shrimp that is too

I have a mine canary shrimp thread this will pertain to when posted. Shrimps are very sensitive to bad params, and zero sensitive to disease that takes fish.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes troubleshooting a little tougher since it’s not a reef tank/ more of a quarantine holding tank but even still thats more than enough dilution for a few fish + Fritz bottle bac

I would not expect ammonia to be an issue in that setup anyway

those were the exact shrimp from my thread as the weakest motile organisms we keep, they’ll die from the slightest param insult. The shrimp living and eating day by day means a lot

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agreed

Id like to link this to our mine canary thread based on all details.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 190 73.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.6%
Back