Six-Line Wrasse

BeccaMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty new to reef-keeping/saltwater tanks. I figured the best way to start was to purchase used, but that didn't end well as the live rock I purchased was full of bristleworms. I bought a Six-Line Wrasse to take care of them and thought I had done sufficient research on them. A few days after he was acclimated and moved to the tank (120-gallon) I noticed he was stuck under a rock and coated with thick mucus, I made the mistake of confusing the aforementioned mucus cocoon with brooklynella. I ran to my LFS in a panic and purchased medicine for said brooklynella which I had been dosing for the past 3 days. I have taken a flashlight, moved rocks, and done everything I can think of in order to find the wrasse but since he was last seen in the cocoon he's been missing. I have a lid on the tank which has a very small hole in the top so I don't believe he jumped but at this point, I'm not sure where else he could be. Any suggestions as to where he is hiding?

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they can wedge themselves in nooks/crannies that you might not be able to see in the rocks. Best bet is to observe without getting your hands back in the tank as it may further stress the fish. During observation, you should be able to see if there is any activity - the 6-line is an active fish, constantly zooming around the tank searching for pods and critters, so it's only a matter of time.

If for some reason you still don't observe the fish after a few days, chances are it might have perished. Wrasses as you know are jumpers, while they might not have jumped directly out of the tank, it might be in another compartment depending on your equipment set-up.

Good luck!

OP
OP
B

BeccaMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they can wedge themselves in nooks/crannies that you might not be able to see in the rocks. Best bet is to observe without getting your hands back in the tank as it may further stress the fish. During observation, you should be able to see if there is any activity - the 6-line is an active fish, constantly zooming around the tank searching for pods and critters, so it's only a matter of time.

If for some reason you still don't observe the fish after a few days, chances are it might have perished. Wrasses as you know are jumpers, while they might not have jumped directly out of the tank, it might be in another compartment depending on your equipment set-up.

Good luck!
Thank you for this! I'll post again in a few days on whether or not I have seen the fish

OP
OP
B

BeccaMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you have found the fish in good conditions
I hope it pops up. Mine is very active always cruising the rock hunting. Keep us updated.
I have yet to see the little guy. I have slowly and carefully removed some live rock, as I am switching tanks due to the fact that my old one is leaking, and I haven’t seen any movement or any other possible mucus sacs in which the fish could’ve been sleeping before I removed the rock. Sadly I think he jumped out and one of my cats/dogs had the fish for dinner

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to see the little guy. I have slowly and carefully removed some live rock, as I am switching tanks due to the fact that my old one is leaking, and I haven’t seen any movement or any other possible mucus sacs in which the fish could’ve been sleeping before I removed the rock. Sadly I think he jumped out and one of my cats/dogs had the fish for dinner
Sorry for your loss! A couple of years ago I had a royal gramma disappear. The owner of my lfs was convinced, even though I have a lid, that it jumped out and either my cat or dog ate it.

OP
OP
B

BeccaMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss! A couple of years ago I had a royal gramma disappear. The owner of my lfs was convinced, even though I have a lid, that it jumped out and either my cat or dog ate it.
It’s definitely sad but I see it as a learning experience. While yes the poor fish passed I now know if I want to keep six-line wrasses I can’t have any holes in my lid like I do now. I wish I didn’t have to harm the fish in order to learn said lesson but at this point there’s nothing I can do to remedy the situation except for making a lid with a much better fit for all future fish going into the tank

OP
OP
B

BeccaMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ Sorry for posting that last response prematurely. I also wanted to add that I am sorry for your troubles with your past wrasses as well. Had it not been for this incident I wouldn’t have thought it possible either

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a learning curve to this hobby! I started in the mid nineties, very little info then. Lost a lot of live stock but fortunately things were way less expensive. That being said, any loss of life is a tragedy. Happy reefing my friend from the great white north!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back