Help with a skimmer choice

  • Thread starter Thread starter JPK
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JPK

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 23, 2015
Messages
403
Reaction score
550
Location
Ventura
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
I am in the market for a new skimmer and want to take advantage of the Black Friday sales.

I am running a 75 gallon display with a trigger ruby 36 sump (est 20-25 gallons) and have a 30 gallon frag tank plumbed in. I would estimate my total water volume (minus rocks and equipment) is right around 110 gallons. I have sps, I plan to add quite a few more fish and I feed a lot.

Currently I am using a reef octopus 150 int classic, which is working ok now, but may struggle as my system matures.

I was looking at the following skimmers; vertex 150 and 180i. There is a smoking deal on the 180i at BRS right now ($349.99, only $10 more than the 150), but I don't know if that would be too large of a skimmer for my system.

Other options would be the RLSS 6i, the aquamaxx CO-2 or the aquamaxx Q2.

I basically am looking for an option which will noticeably out perform my reef octopus, but not be so powerful that it will be inefficient for my system as it grows out.

Any recommendations/thoughts?

Thanks

This is my system.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
 
180i is my choice I just feel there is less chance to break something off with the I design. with the 150 there are so many parts just ready to snag onto something when you go to remove it for cleaning.
 
Thanks for the input Stan, I really appreciate it. The 180i seems like a solid skimmer from what I have read, and there is such a good deal on the at the moment.

The only thing that was holding me back was the fear that it was too much skimmer for my total water volume. However, my case is a little different since I have 2 tanks (each with fish, corals and food) on one sump/skimmer.

Happy thanksgiving
 
I would not think your system is too small for the 180i. It should work pretty well, especially if you like to feed heavy and push the bioload. I run an RO Extreme 160 XS on a 50 gallon system and it works well. I'd go with the 180i. I bought the Omega 150 for an upgrade and it is a very well built skimmer.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new