help with aiptasia

abirozy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I am relatively new to the hobby and have a 29 gallon nano with about 36 lbs live rock / sand, an aquamaxx hob-1 skimmer, and a reef radiance dm 132 e light.

I have what started out as 1 or 2 aiptasia but are now spreading like CRAZY. What can I do? I read that the berghia nudibranch are good, but I have a yellow coris wrasse, so I don't know if I can have them. I have tried Aiptasia X but they seem to multiply faster than I kill them.

Thanks

Adam

KillerKlownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that sucks! I had one and didn't know how to get rid of it. One guy said get a syringe fill it with lemon juice and spray the *******! Instead I used putty for frags and sealed him in it. So far so good. That was a few months ago. If it comes back I. Taking out the rock and gonna perform some surgery to get rid of it.

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the nudi and wrasse combo, but you could try some peppermint shrimp. They are hit or miss though.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to go with the berghia, you can try adding them at night. I could be wrong, but I think the berghias are most active at night. The wrasse is typically more active during the day.

Marine1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I am relatively new to the hobby and have a 29 gallon nano with about 36 lbs live rock / sand, an aquamaxx hob-1 skimmer, and a reef radiance dm 132 e light.

I have what started out as 1 or 2 aiptasia but are now spreading like CRAZY. What can I do? I read that the berghia nudibranch are good, but I have a yellow coris wrasse, so I don't know if I can have them. I have tried Aiptasia X but they seem to multiply faster than I kill them.

Thanks

Adam

I added 3 peppermint shrimp to my 65 gallon tank and it took care of my problem! I have them sprouting up again but I can only see 3-4 and then I will get them individually with the injector.

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Sealed them in"... that's a good one.

In general though, I've always found that they act like softies... needing lots of nutrients to grow. When you get your nutrients under control (or once the rock cycles), they will go away.

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using Peppermint Shrimp. Mine have always gone after the aiptasia. I know sometimes Camel Shrimp are wrongly identified as Peppermints so buy from someone trustworthy.

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my wrasse ate my berghia nudis really quick... best advice i can give you is to buy a bristletail filefish, it completely eradicated my aiptasia infestation very fast

Adam Baggett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a copper banded butterfly and 3 peppermint and they were wiped out in no time. I always look for a natural solution first before adding any chemicals to to the tank.

nazzman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once peppermint shrimp start grabbing bits of food for fish they pretty much stop eating aiptasia I had a outbreak awhile back and aiptasia x worked great you have to make sure that the syringe hits mouth it wraps around syringe and inject it at same time GL

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check this out...
[video=youtube;WvkEbx1P85U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvkEbx1P85U[/video]

PCygni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peppermint shrimp take care of it. Get the biggest, fattest most aggressive ones you can find. Ask your LFS to drop some fish pellets in the tank, the ones that come out and gobble them up are the shrimp u want. They not only have a better chance of surviving, those shrimp are the ones that mow down aptasia. Simply my own anecdotal experience, dig.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 158 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back