Help with algae ID and solutions

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My tank has been running for about 18 months. I started with dry Stax rock and rubble. I’ve been through various stages of uglies. Vibrant helped with some green hair algae back in January but became less effective over time. I have been using Microbacter Clean lately and while there has been some algae present at all times I’ve been scrubbing rocks and doing manual removal. It’s been present but more or less under control. That is until the last couple of days. All of a sudden my tank looks like this.
E6693C17-C40C-417F-A160-8A8F2AE21A76.jpeg
278B2CB0-51CC-45BD-8D71-DBB4EDC7CA9E.jpeg
3EC4353F-1959-4D3F-923C-7A974CB7793A.jpeg
622FFC53-3408-4F08-B364-17808D25693D.jpeg
F6BEA86E-0680-4431-9366-55D94E95BC03.jpeg

I thought the stuff in the sand bed was cyano and was planning to siphon out during my next water change. But all of a sudden in addition to the sand bed the rocks just kind of exploded with this brownish hair algae, or at least I think it’s hair algae. I’m hoping for some help with ID and advice. Just tested Nitrates at 7.5 on the Seachem test kit. They were at 5 on Sunday when I tested. Phosphates were at 0.02 on Hanna Checker on Sunday morning. Have not had a chance to check them today yet but will soon. My phosphates have generally been running much higher, between 0.06 and 0.10 over the last few months. Nitrate is pretty stable between 5-10 over that time. No changes to feeding or anything else. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some hair algae, cyno, and a few aiptasia. What lights and schedule you have?
I’m running a Radion XR15 gen 4 pro over a IM Lagoon 50. LPS/Softy setting at about 70% from 11am to 9:00pm including 1 hour ramp up and ramp down. This setting has not changed in months.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are allegedly two emerald crabs in there somewhere. I have not seen them since the day they went in, not even at night after lights out.
The blennies are hard workers, class clowns and short money. Maybe the crabs got eaten.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For the aptasia. . .using a syringe- inject some lemon juice or better yet, kalkwasser powder mixed into a thin paste and inject into the center core pf each aptasia.
As for the ugly stuff- Its the start of Dino and bryopsis- not diatoms or algae.
** treat dino as soon as possible and NOT ride the storm as it will overtake the tank.

Prepare for a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off for 5 days and st night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights and work your white lights up slowly

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a Radion XR15 gen 4 pro over a IM Lagoon 50. LPS/Softy setting at about 70% from 11am to 9:00pm including 1 hour ramp up and ramp down. This setting has not changed in months.

I'd try cutting the peak down from 8 hours. I run 2-3 hr ramp up and down and 4-5hr peak intensity.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the aptasia. . .using a syringe- inject some lemon juice or better yet, kalkwasser powder mixed into a thin paste and inject into the center core pf each aptasia.
As for the ugly stuff- Its the start of Dino and bryopsis- not diatoms or algae.
** treat dino as soon as possible and NOT ride the storm as it will overtake the tank.

Prepare for a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off for 5 days and st night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights and work your white lights up slowly
‘I’m not even worried about the aiptasia right now. I’ve been using aiptasia x and beating them back but It’s not Eliminating them. Also have a couple of peppermint shrimp and maybe need to add a few more. May also have to go ahead and get some berghia but that can wait.
I was worried about Dino’s for sure. I’ve never had them before. Algae problems sure, but never Dino’s. Do I need to completely black out the tank or is ambient room light during the day ok? No direct sunlight hits the tank. Can I feed the fish or is that counterproductive?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
‘I’m not even worried about the aiptasia right now. I’ve been using aiptasia x and beating them back but It’s not Eliminating them. Also have a couple of peppermint shrimp and maybe need to add a few more. May also have to go ahead and get some berghia but that can wait.
I was worried about Dino’s for sure. I’ve never had them before. Algae problems sure, but never Dino’s. Do I need to completely black out the tank or is ambient room light during the day ok? No direct sunlight hits the tank. Can I feed the fish or is that counterproductive?
Feed the fish as normal
Blackout is best but you can run blues at 10%

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed the fish as normal
Blackout is best but you can run blues at 10%
Ok, I syphoned the sand, scrubbed the rock work as well I could and generally stirred everything up. Got the power head running on its highest setting to keep things suspended. Lights out and I’m adding 4ml of h2o2 at night for 5 days, no lights for 5 days, maybe 10% blue after a couple of days for the coral, Microbacter 7 or fritzyme 9 at 4ml every morning. Change filter floss daily. I believe I have a plan. Only bummer is my uv light is burned out, need to order a new one. Thanks for the assistance and thank you to everyone who chimed in to help, I appreciate it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok, I syphoned the sand, scrubbed the rock work as well I could and generally stirred everything up. Got the power head running on its highest setting to keep things suspended. Lights out and I’m adding 4ml of h2o2 at night for 5 days, no lights for 5 days, maybe 10% blue after a couple of days for the coral, Microbacter 7 or fritzyme 9 at 4ml every morning. Change filter floss daily. I believe I have a plan. Only bummer is my uv light is burned out, need to order a new one. Thanks for the assistance and thank you to everyone who chimed in to help, I appreciate it.
My pleasure and no uv is perfectly fine with this plan

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back