Help with algae ID

meganf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I've been battling relentless algae for approximately 6 months and I would love help identifying the type(s) of algae I have. Maybe if I can get a positive ID on the type of algae then I'm hoping I'll figure out how to properly rid my tank of it.
Here's some info about my tank:
1. My display tank is about a year and a half old. We began the tank at the end of 2021. The display is approximately 75 gallons and our sump is about 20. We started with live sand and dry rock.
2. We have an assortment of snails and hermit crabs in my display tank (astraea, trochus, urchins, Florida cerith, dwarf cerith, nassarius, halloween hermit, blue leg hermit , blue knuckle hermit, dwarf red hermit, polka dot hermit). I also have a starry blenny. None of these guys put a dent in the algae.
3. We got SCA (dinos) and had them from June/July-ish 2022- December 2022. The hair algae began a little bit before the dinos left.
5. The hair algae is easy to remove. A light brushing will make it fall off. I honestly have no clue what kind this algae is. The color (as you can see in the photos) is a brownish-green. I don't think it has "rooted" into the rocks because it comes right off. I've included some photos of what a rock looks like after a light brushing. Perhaps I've got a combo of algae, hopefully someone will be able to get a positive ID for me. I'd really like to figure this out.
6. My nitrate is 1.8 and my phosphate is .02
Thank you so much
If you need any additional info, please let me know!

The following are photos before any (recent) manual removal:

1685143132385.png

1685143161171.png

1685143178186.png

1685143196556.png

At the top of this rock, you can kinda see a trail that one of the urchins left:

1685143213564.png

1685143227024.png

This is the rock my astraea cleans. You can see he's also covered in algae. He doesn't leave this rock:

1685143244353.png

1685143265639.png

After brushing a little bit of the algae off the snail. Again, it is easily removed:
1685143289454.png

I took one of the rocks out of the tank and quickly brushed it with a toothbrush and this is the result:
1685143302697.png

1685143317646.png

Close up. What's left on the rock are the bits in the crevices that I couldn't reach:
1685143333473.png

Thanks again for any insight!

Last edited:
OP
OP
meganf

meganf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your lighting schedule like? Also what type of water do you use for your tank? Ro rodi tap? Is your tank by a window?
I use RODI. Its reading 0 TDS. No window by the tank. The lights had been running for 10 hours with an hour ramp up an down. I recently changed this to have a two hour ramp up and down and they are now running 8 hours a day. The lights run at 25% blues and 7% whites

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I use RODI. Its reading 0 TDS. No window by the tank. The lights had been running for 10 hours with an hour ramp up an down. I recently changed this to have a two hour ramp up and down and they are now running 8 hours a day. The lights run at 25% blues and 7% whites
Whats your feeding like how often?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello!
I've been battling relentless algae for approximately 6 months and I would love help identifying the type(s) of algae I have. Maybe if I can get a positive ID on the type of algae then I'm hoping I'll figure out how to properly rid my tank of it.
Here's some info about my tank:
1. My display tank is about a year and a half old. We began the tank at the end of 2021. The display is approximately 75 gallons and our sump is about 20. We started with live sand and dry rock.
2. We have an assortment of snails and hermit crabs in my display tank (astraea, trochus, urchins, Florida cerith, dwarf cerith, nassarius, halloween hermit, blue leg hermit , blue knuckle hermit, dwarf red hermit, polka dot hermit). I also have a starry blenny. None of these guys put a dent in the algae.
3. We got SCA (dinos) and had them from June/July-ish 2022- December 2022. The hair algae began a little bit before the dinos left.
5. The hair algae is easy to remove. A light brushing will make it fall off. I honestly have no clue what kind this algae is. The color (as you can see in the photos) is a brownish-green. I don't think it has "rooted" into the rocks because it comes right off. I've included some photos of what a rock looks like after a light brushing. Perhaps I've got a combo of algae, hopefully someone will be able to get a positive ID for me. I'd really like to figure this out.
6. My nitrate is 1.8 and my phosphate is .02
Thank you so much
If you need any additional info, please let me know!

The following are photos before any (recent) manual removal:

1685143132385.png

1685143161171.png

1685143178186.png

1685143196556.png

At the top of this rock, you can kinda see a trail that one of the urchins left:

1685143213564.png

1685143227024.png

This is the rock my astraea cleans. You can see he's also covered in algae. He doesn't leave this rock:

1685143244353.png

1685143265639.png

After brushing a little bit of the algae off the snail. Again, it is easily removed:
1685143289454.png

I took one of the rocks out of the tank and quickly brushed it with a toothbrush and this is the result:
1685143302697.png

1685143317646.png

Close up. What's left on the rock are the bits in the crevices that I couldn't reach:
1685143333473.png

Thanks again for any insight!
I see wire algae and green turf algae which is a course secondary stage green hair algae. This is one that requires elbow grease. Best is to take the rock out of the tank and place in a container of tank water and use a firm brush such as an automotive detail brush (see pic)
Scrub with added 3% peroxide and return rock to tank. Add cleaners after cleaning such as Pitho crabs, a tuxedo urchin, ninja star snails and lg astrea snails.

Are you using RODI water or Tap water from the faucet?
My Suspicion- Is this tank at or near a window?
What is your phosphate level?
What is Magnesium level?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly water changes with lots of manual removal. Get a diverse large clean up crew that includes a few tuxedo urchins and turbos. Cut lights to 6 hours with blue and UV only no whites. Raise magnesium to 1500 which will help kill it off. Get parameters in check with 10 nitrate and phosphate. 05 to .1. Dose copepods and daily dose phytoplankton. Dose good bacteria like PNS probio which is heterotrophic bacteria that breaks down organic waste before it feeds you algae. This is a 2 or 3 month battle

OP
OP
meganf

meganf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see wire algae and green turf algae which is a course secondary stage green hair algae. This is one that requires elbow grease. Best is to take the rock out of the tank and place in a container of tank water and use a firm brush such as an automotive detail brush (see pic)
Scrub with added 3% peroxide and return rock to tank. Add cleaners after cleaning such as Pitho crabs, a tuxedo urchin, ninja star snails and lg astrea snails.

Are you using RODI water or Tap water from the faucet?
My Suspicion- Is this tank at or near a window?
What is your phosphate level?
What is Magnesium level?
Thank you. I'll try using peroxide when I do my next water change/maintenance day.
I'm using RODI water that I make at home and it measures 0 TDS.
Last I checked my phosphate was at 0.02 and my mag was 1400ppm.
My tank is in the hallway, it isn't exactly close to a window but it is probably 15 feet away from my front door and there's a transom window above it.

OP
OP
meganf

meganf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly water changes with lots of manual removal. Get a diverse large clean up crew that includes a few tuxedo urchins and turbos. Cut lights to 6 hours with blue and UV only no whites. Raise magnesium to 1500 which will help kill it off. Get parameters in check with 10 nitrate and phosphate. 05 to .1. Dose copepods and daily dose phytoplankton. Dose good bacteria like PNS probio which is heterotrophic bacteria that breaks down organic waste before it feeds you algae. This is a 2 or 3 month battle
Thank you! I'll start adding some bacteria and I'll keep up with the manual removal.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you. I'll try using peroxide when I do my next water change/maintenance day.
I'm using RODI water that I make at home and it measures 0 TDS.
Last I checked my phosphate was at 0.02 and my mag was 1400ppm.
My tank is in the hallway, it isn't exactly close to a window but it is probably 15 feet away from my front door and there's a transom window above it.
dont let phos level get lower as it can invite other issue. The UV which is strongest this time of the year may be part of the issue as it promotes especially hair algae growth even when indirect. Often placing a piece of black construction on the side of tank getting that UV will reduce algae greatly.

OP
OP
meganf

meganf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont let phos level get lower as it can invite other issue. The UV which is strongest this time of the year may be part of the issue as it promotes especially hair algae growth even when indirect. Often placing a piece of black construction on the side of tank getting that UV will reduce algae greatly.
Now that you mention it, that side of the tank has the algae worse than the other sides.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Now that you mention it, that side of the tank has the algae worse than the other sides.
yes- most likely. UV from sun has an impact

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I see your light spectrum looks like it's just perfect for growing algae in a reef aquarium. obviously considering your feeding schedule and the age of the tank has something to do with it, but that lighting is way too white IMHO

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back