Help with Algae Issue Please

zimmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following with great interest! My tank looks almost identical to yours and I have the same questions, including the UV pros/cons.

I may invest in a microscope but don’t know what kind is best.

zimmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following with great interest!! My tank looks almost identical to yours with similar parameters. I have the same questions, including the pros/cons of UV filter. Looks like a microscope is in my future!

(sorry for the double post)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't currently have a UV but I would be willing to make the investment if it solved the issue. Being new I looked in to UV but noticed there was as many pros vs cons. I guess that's just part of the reefing game.....

Your also right I should up my cleaning crew numbers. Thanks.
I still have some algae growth; the UV just helps keep it in-check so the CUC can easily manage it.

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Just ordered a cheap scope which should arrive Wednesday 12/14. Hopefully have photos 12/14 or 12/15.
Great! Feel free to put the pictures here once you are ready.

I've been dealing with the dreaded dinos for a few weeks, I've been doing a lot of research... Crossing my fingers is something else for you.

OP
OP
M

Mike from Penna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! Feel free to put the pictures here once you are ready.

I've been dealing with the dreaded dinos for a few weeks, I've been doing a lot of research... Crossing my fingers is something else for you.
Ok, my microscope arrived and I got a few photo's for everyone's input please.

Looking at example photo's on the internet it looks more like dino's to me than diatoms but I'll let you experts confirm please.

One observation which makes me think it might be dino's is the brown on the sand peaks about 3-4 days after a water change. Then it it appears to dissipate (not completely) but its currently better looking now which is 7 days after a 20% water change.

Here's the photos. Please let me know if you need any additional information. Thanks Mike

Attachments

• Possible Dino1.jpg
    Possible Dino1.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Possible Dino2.jpg
    Possible Dino2.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 34

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, my microscope arrived and I got a few photo's for everyone's input please.

Looking at example photo's on the internet it looks more like dino's to me than diatoms but I'll let you experts confirm please.

One observation which makes me think it might be dino's is the brown on the sand peaks about 3-4 days after a water change. Then it it appears to dissipate (not completely) but its currently better looking now which is 7 days after a 20% water change.

Here's the photos. Please let me know if you need any additional information. Thanks Mike
That's dino's for sure, sorry.

Hard to tell what type with those pics. Can you just put some of the water from the snot under the scope? It may make for a better view

OP
OP
M

Mike from Penna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's dino's for sure, sorry.

Hard to tell what type with those pics. Can you just put some of the water from the snot under the scope? It may make for a better view
Here' some additional photos. I'm not sure if there much better than the previous....

Attachments

• Dino 4 Close-Up.jpg
    Dino 4 Close-Up.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Dino 5 Close-Up.jpg
    Dino 5 Close-Up.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 32

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a mix Dino, diatoms and GHA. I personally would just maintain 10% monthly water change and vacuum the bed, blow off your rock work first. ( I use a tube feeder and gyres for behind the rocks ) If I was to skip a change and vacuum things start to get ugly quick. Your parameters seem ok could raise Mag and Cal but that's not going to help your issue. Go for the UV and DON'T undersize it. More clean up crew, tuxedo urchins and some turbo snails maybe a large zebra snail (they are algae killers) more conches and you should have a Tang gang. Don't overfeed the fish make them work. Clean your sump, run some carbon or a diatom filter to remove suspended matter. ( Magnum polishing internal canister filter) I use this filter in my sump while in feed mode so the debris it kicks up doesn't go in the tank after feed mode ends just let it run for a day. When I do a water change I add this filter to help with the material that gets kicked up from the vacuum and cleaning of the rock work. Make sure you rinse your pre filter twice a week and change your socks at least once a week.

Than there's Vibrant or Chemiclean, I have used Vibrant twice in the last three years with good results.
Honestly your tank looks good just need to get your issue under control. The last thing that you might try is two alternating gyres as it breaks the surface but creates flow throughout the entire tank.

OP
OP
M

Mike from Penna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a mix Dino, diatoms and GHA. I personally would just maintain 10% monthly water change and vacuum the bed, blow off your rock work first. ( I use a tube feeder and gyres for behind the rocks ) If I was to skip a change and vacuum things start to get ugly quick. Your parameters seem ok could raise Mag and Cal but that's not going to help your issue. Go for the UV and DON'T undersize it. More clean up crew, tuxedo urchins and some turbo snails maybe a large zebra snail (they are algae killers) more conches and you should have a Tang gang. Don't overfeed the fish make them work. Clean your sump, run some carbon or a diatom filter to remove suspended matter. ( Magnum polishing internal canister filter) I use this filter in my sump while in feed mode so the debris it kicks up doesn't go in the tank after feed mode ends just let it run for a day. When I do a water change I add this filter to help with the material that gets kicked up from the vacuum and cleaning of the rock work. Make sure you rinse your pre filter twice a week and change your socks at least once a week.

Than there's Vibrant or Chemiclean, I have used Vibrant twice in the last three years with good results.
Honestly your tank looks good just need to get your issue under control. The last thing that you might try is two alternating gyres as it breaks the surface but creates flow throughout the entire tank.
Thank you!! Just bought more CUC members at my LRS. I'm looking into purchasing a 25w UV sterilizer.

As far as carbon goes would carbon in a mesh bag within the sump suffice?

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! Just bought more CUC members at my LRS. I'm looking into purchasing a 25w UV sterilizer.

As far as carbon goes would carbon in a mesh bag within the sump suffice?
A reactor would be a much better choice for the carbon. BRS has the kit at a reasonable price. Magnum polishing internal canister filter is also a good choice, personally I have both, the reactor is also good with GFO and the canister has the micron polishing filter. Once a year for a single day I use diatomaceous earth with the canister filter, you will never find a more efficient filter. (to efficient) afterwards the fish appear to be floating.

RBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

I’m sure this is the millionth post asking about possible diatom issues but I’m at my wits end and was hopeful someone can point me in the right direction to help correct the issue.
I’m new to reef tanks and I’m seeking some experienced inputs. Any help would be appreciated.
I’ve listed the information below I thought would be helpful to determine the root cause.
Issues:
  1. What appears as heavy diatoms on sand. Diatoms on sand started around April 2022. (See Attached Photo)
    1. After my typical 15 gallon water change the next day shows signs of brown on sand.
    2. The 2nd day after 15 gallon water change shows is significant brown on the sand. (See Attached Photo)
  2. Some (not all) rocks appear to have brown hair algae on them.
  3. Some (not all) of the snails have brown hair algae on them. (See Attached Photo)
  4. Some frag plugs have brown hair algae on them.
Tank Information:
Tank Cycled: 12/18/21
Tank Size: 75 gallons (4’ long)
Salt: Red Sea Blue bucket.
RODI Water:
TDS = 0
Silicate of RODI water measures 0.
Water Changes:
  • Generally change 15 gallons once every week since diatom outbreak.
  • Prior to outbreak would change 15 gallons every 2 weeks.
Tank Equipment:
  • 20 gallon sump with some bio-balls & heater
  • Bubble Magus NAC6 Skimmer
  • Apex EL base unit, Apex Trident Monitoring Device, Apex DOS dosing pump, & Apex 832 energy bar
Powerheads:
  • 2 Jebao SLW-20 on Else/Random modes.
    • At one point had 2 Jebao SLW-30’s installed but flow seemed too strong as torches didn’t want to fully open.
Lighting:
Lights mounted 12” off the top of the water
:

• 3 - Kessil A360
  • Aquatic Life 48” G3 T5HO Hybrid T5 fixture (added T5’s 11/2022. Diatoms present before adding T5’s):
    • ATI Bulbs: 2: Blue Plus, 1: Coral Plus, 1: True Actinic
  • Average PAR on sand with BOTH T5 & Kessil’s on during 1:00pm-5:00pm light schedule below= PAR 165
Light Schedule:

Time
Color
Intensity
10:00​
0​
10​
11:30​
20​
30​
T5
1:00​
42​
10​
ON​
4:00​
40​
10​
ON​
5:00​
40​
10​
ON​
7:00​
35​
30​
9:00​
25​
15​
11:00​
0​
0​

Parameters (All taken from the Apex Trident other than Salt, Phosphate, & Nitrate):
  • PH: 7.95
  • Alkalinity: 8.30
  • Calcium: 407
  • Magnesium: 1244
  • Phosphate: 0.23 (Hanna)
  • Nitrate: ~ 8 (Hanna showed over 5 therefore had to use the NYOS Test Kit)
  • Salt: 35
Additives:
15ml Soda Ash via DOS. (Diatoms present before starting to use Soda ash)

Livestock:
  • Cleaning Crew: Estimated 15-20 various snails & 1 tiger conch
  • Fish: 2 Clownfish, Lawnmower Blenny, Yellow Coris Wrasse, Purple tang, Banggai Cardinal, Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse, Court Jester Goby (Rainfordi)
  • Corals: Mostly LPS a few softies.
    • Feed corals every 2-3 days with a mixture of Reef Roids & Benepets.
  • Fish Food: LRS Fish frenzy, Hikari Seaweed Extreme, TDO Chroma Boost, Omega One Marine Flakes
Additional photos can be supplied if required.

Thanks in advance, Mike

1 Week After H2O Change.jpg Diatom CloseUp.jpg Snail w Algae.jpg 2 Days After H2O Change.jpg
Hello. That looks like the issue I had. it was Dino’s. I did not buy a microscope but noticed they dissipated at night. I read this was the type a UV would work for. I bought a green killing machine and within a couple of days it was under control. Not sure if this is typical or I just got lucky but that is what worked for me

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank looked very similar and I dosed hydrogen peroxide and in 3 days, my tank looked as good as new and haven't has a problem with dinos since, roughly 4 months ago. Not saying it will do the same for you and your set up, but worked for me. Also added a UV light at the same time.

OP
OP
M

Mike from Penna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank looked very similar and I dosed hydrogen peroxide and in 3 days, my tank looked as good as new and haven't has a problem with dinos since, roughly 4 months ago. Not saying it will do the same for you and your set up, but worked for me. Also added a UV light at the same time.
Do you happen to have the hydrogen peroxide dosing rates/instructions you followed that you could provide? Thanks.

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to have the hydrogen peroxide dosing rates/instructions you followed that you could provide? Thanks.
So what I read off here, was that people were doing 1ml per gallon of water volume, one per day. I have a 90 gallon with 40 sump and believe my water volume to be around 100-110. I only did 9ml per day. With the first day breaking it up into a 4ml dose and 5ml dose and the next two days I dosed 9ml. I do want to say, please don't go off what I said. I had great outcome for it. But I'm sure other people didn't.

OP
OP
M

Mike from Penna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I read off here, was that people were doing 1ml per gallon of water volume, one per day. I have a 90 gallon with 40 sump and believe my water volume to be around 100-110. I only did 9ml per day. With the first day breaking it up into a 4ml dose and 5ml dose and the next two days I dosed 9ml. I do want to say, please don't go off what I said. I had great outcome for it. But I'm sure other people didn't.
Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
M

Mike from Penna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to thank everyone who gave suggestions on eliminating my algae issues (mix of dinos, diatoms & GHA).

I also wanted to provide an update in case anyone was following who has similar issues.

Update:
The issue is much improved! After a water change my sand will turn slightly little brown in a few areas (way better than before) about 4-5 days after the water change. All hair type algae is gone from rocks & coral. Some snails still have hair algae.

Actions Taken:
I wasn't conducting a design of experiments to introduce one item at a time as I wanted the improvement as soon as possible. Therefore, I can't really say if one item had more impact than the others.
Here's want I implemented:
- Added more snails & another conch.
- Added a UV sterilizer.
- Dosed H2O2 for 2 weeks.
- Scrubbed the rocks, coral plugs, & snails of algae the best I could with a brush.
- Reduced coral feeding from every other day to once every 3-4 days.
- Blew off rocks and sand every day for a week with a filter sock in the sump which was changed daily.
- Ordered more algae eating fish (cole tang, lawnmower and tail spot blenny) which haven't arrived yet as they are being QUARENTEED.
- Re-introduced an algae scrubber recently (didn't grow algae when introduced 4 months ago. Now growing algae). So I don't think this had much impact on the algae issue.

Again thanks for all who helped me out!!!!! Mike

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 89 41.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 106 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%
Back