Help with Algae

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up this Biocube 32 from someone and it’s been up and running for 3 years. It has a ton of, what looks like GHA, and some Bryopsis on the rocks. There is a Lawnmower Blenny and I added an urchin (he’s put in major work). The previous owner did 5g weekly water changes and I am keeping those going. I have the refugium set up for the back and plan to install. I only have the API test kit as the other tests arrive on Thursday, so I don’t have any parameters to share. Any advise on getting rid of it?

I have a UV sterilizer I can install as well as the Coralife skimmer. I had the skimmer running for about 2 days and the micro bubbles are insane.

IMG_0178.jpeg IMG_0179.jpeg

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a few more pincushion urchins. Did that from my old 90g back in 2013. When they are done donate them to someone else.
I forgot to mention that I plan on picking up another urchin today and maybe some turbos if I can find some. Should probably go with 2 more urchins.

saltypepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the uglier the urchin for some reason the better the do. Had one beautiful one in that 90 and it would hardly go on the rocks that had the algae while the mutter colour ones devoured the algae. Maybe that’s just that me be silly

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the uglier the urchin for some reason the better the do. Had one beautiful one in that 90 and it would hardly go on the rocks that had the algae while the mutter colour ones devoured the algae. Maybe that’s just that me be silly
That's funny. I had a really cool Halloween Urchin several years ago in my 120 and he was a beast. I just never had algae this bad. I know the LFS has some small ugly ones.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That first pic kinda looks like bryopsis and second is GHA I can confirm you are correct on that.

Manual removal CUC and reduce lighting helps
It was hard to get a good pic of the bryopsis, but it looks identical to the photos in the nuisance algae thread.

saltypepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was hard to get a good pic of the bryopsis, but it looks identical to the photos in the nuisance algae thread.
If you have some bone cutters or something similar use them to scrape against the rock we’re the bryopsis is then syphon it out of the tank.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That first pic kinda looks like bryopsis and second is GHA I can confirm you are correct on that.

Manual removal CUC and reduce lighting helps

Yup i agree,

For bryopsis you can take out the rock and spray peroxide on it then rinse and return the rock.

Or you can do fluconazole.

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up this Biocube 32 from someone and it’s been up and running for 3 years. It has a ton of, what looks like GHA, and some Bryopsis on the rocks. There is a Lawnmower Blenny and I added an urchin (he’s put in major work). The previous owner did 5g weekly water changes and I am keeping those going. I have the refugium set up for the back and plan to install. I only have the API test kit as the other tests arrive on Thursday, so I don’t have any parameters to share. Any advise on getting rid of it?

I have a UV sterilizer I can install as well as the Coralife skimmer. I had the skimmer running for about 2 days and the micro bubbles are insane.
If all that GHA is on the back might just be able to scrape it off and might be easier to get a holding bin and scrub the bryopsis off since its only a 32g rocks shouldnt be too bad. Just make sure corals stay wet for any extended period of time

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all that GHA is on the back might just be able to scrape it off and might be easier to get a holding bin and scrub the bryopsis off since its only a 32g rocks shouldnt be too bad. Just make sure corals stay wet for any extended period of time
I'll give that a try and see how it goes. Thanks.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hate to see you use an antifungle on an algae. To me that’s like treating a virus with antibiotics

Fuconazole has a neat side effect where it does kill most hair algae and bryopsis, you can look up tons of posts about success using it.

But I agree good ol elbow grease is always preferable to chemical solutions.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume the peroxide would hurt the corals?

Nope!

For the zoas? Highly unlikley to do any harm to them, 3% isnt strong enough to do any cell damage to the zoa's but strong enough to damage the algae.

If you had acros or something else i'd be a little more hesitant but i actually dip any fresh zoa frags i get in a 50/50 mix of 3% and SW to prevent stuff like this from happening!

Just rinse them off in fresh SW and you're good!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the rear panel of the tank clear? if so, you could add an upflow algae turf scrubber, that would do wonders in nitrate elimination and starving the display algae to death.

something like this would work, there are also guides online on how to make your own for significantly cheaper:

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the rear panel of the tank clear? if so, you could add an upflow algae turf scrubber, that would do wonders in nitrate elimination and starving the display algae to death.
There is one empty chamber in the back that's about 4"x4"

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back