Help with anemone identification please.

beetlejuicebabes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3704C4CC-EEB7-46E4-9733-67352ABC2943.jpeg
3704C4CC-EEB7-46E4-9733-67352ABC2943.jpeg
30452C02-7E63-460D-988B-C26EA9981C95.jpeg
20B8FEBD-79AE-490E-93FD-ED537D30DB89.jpeg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are Bubble tip anemones
The one is the first two pics is In bad shape but the one in the 3rd pic looks good

OP
OP
B

beetlejuicebabes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are Bubble tip anemones
The one is the first two pics is In bad shape but the one in the 3rd pic looks good
Okay that’s what I thought as well, I got them from the same person at the same time and was thinking maybe it was a different kind? Both have been attached since I got them but idk what’s going on with the first one.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First one could be a bubble tip, could be a red foot anemone. Stripes around the mouth also occur on red foots, and the red foots prefer to spread themselves out in an open flower position, like the nem is doing on your pictures.

And red foots tend to have that open area around the mouth, more so than bubble tips which have a more equal dispersal of tentacles. If the first one has spots on the outside, then it's a red foot but the second one definitely seems to be a bubble tip.

Last edited:

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First one could be a bubble tip, could be a red foot anemone. Stripes around the mouth also occur on red foots, and the red foots prefer to spread themselves out in an open flower position, like the nem is doing on your pictures.

And red foots tend to have that open area around the mouth, more so than bubble tips which have a more equal dispersal of tentacles. If the first one has spots on the outside, then it's a red foot but the second one definitely seems to be a bubble tip.
What species are you referring to? I’m not familiar with a common name of red foot as there are a number of anemones that have a red foot. For example, some magnifica’s, heteractis aurora, macrodactyla doreensis, probably others….
Heteractis Aurora has very prominent stripes on the tentacles that aren’t visible in the pics, they don’t look like magnifica’s either. It could be a macrodactyla Doreensis (aka long tentacle anemone). BTA’s do have space around the mouth that is more visible when the nem isn’t fully inflated.

Last edited:

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species are you referring to? I’m not familiar with a common name of red foot as there are a number of anemones that have a red foot. For example, some magnifica’s, heteractis aurora, macrodactyla doreensis, probably others….
Heteractis Aurora has very prominent stripes on the tentacles that aren’t visible in the pics, they don’t look like magnifica’s either. It could be a macrodactyla Doreensis (aka long tentacle anemone). BTA’s do have space around the mouth that is more visible when the nem isn’t fully inflated.
Oh pardon the lack of clarity on my behalf. I was thinking about the Macrodactylas. They seem to assume the flat/open position whenever possible while it seems uncharacteristic for other non-carpet like species. But OP said they got them from someone who said they were both BTAs, so that is probably a correct identification.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An LTA is a sand dwellar, not rock dwellar. It's not Macrodactyla doreensis.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An LTA is a sand dwellar, not rock dwellar. It's not Macrodactyla doreensis.
Macrodactylas sometimes attach to rock.

Therefore identify by looking if it has dots along the outside of the oral disk.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are both bubble tips not LTAs

OP did not mention if the nem was placed on the rock by OP, or if it moved itself into that position. My focus was directed at the depth of information that was offered along with the suggestion that the nem was indeed a bubbletip.

Given similarities between the two species, checking for dots is the usual way of making an ID. Many anemones have stripes around the mouth so teaching people to ID something as bubbletip based on stripes, seemed to me that it could bear the elaboration.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are saying that because it 99% looks like a bubbletip anemone, yes that would be proper id for LTA if it had the spots on the top of the collumn but those look way too much like bubbletips

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well lets call them the correct name then, its verrucae, they are small raised bumps, not just dots.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP did not mention if the nem was placed on the rock by OP, or if it moved itself into that position. My focus was directed at the depth of information that was offered along with the suggestion that the nem was indeed a bubbletip.

Given similarities between the two species, checking for dots is the usual way of making an ID. Many anemones have stripes around the mouth so teaching people to ID something as bubbletip based on stripes, seemed to me that it could bear the elaboration.
I never said anything about stripes around the mouth. Just giving the OP a %100 correct ID on their nems

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never said anything about stripes around the mouth. Just giving the OP a %100 correct ID on their nems

It is super nice of you to tell OP which species their anemone is.

Well lets call them the correct name then, its verrucae, they are small raised bumps, not just dots.

When people are not experienced enough to ID their nems, short hints about what to look for is probably better than giving them the full textbook.

But thanks for clarifying, I appreciate you all for giving an identification of OPs nems without explaining how to ID them.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is super nice of you to tell OP which species their anemone is.

When people are not experienced enough to ID their nems, short hints about what to look for is probably better than giving them the full textbook.

But thanks for clarifying, I appreciate you all for giving an identification of OPs nems without explaining how to ID them.

Asking for an ID of something and asking HOW to differentiate between similar species are completely different questions. And "dots" simply isn't specific enough and may be confused with speckles or other markings on a nem. Describing them as"raised bumps" is way more helpful and no more complicated.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking for an ID of something and asking HOW to differentiate between similar species are completely different questions. And "dots" simply isn't specific enough and may be confused with speckles or other markings on a nem. Describing them as"raised bumps" is way more helpful and no more complicated.

It is different questions, although lack of knowledge about the first, is dependent on lack of knowledge about the second.

With your choice of words, remember to mention it is differently coloured bumps. I used "dots" because it references both texture and colour. "Raised bumps" is a pleonasm that I would personally avoid.

Regardless how people choose to formulate themselves, unsure readers looking for help with IDs, will benefit if advice on how to ID their nems is readily available.

Last edited:
Back