Help with ap9x

blakeu21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a new fish tank and it came with a apex system and I was wondering what light setttings I should use for my ap9x it’s a 110.4 water box tank

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I a couple 9Xs and are familiar with them. I think part of the reason no one has responded yet is we need alot more details.

What coral are you planning on keeping? Is this the only light? Are you planning on using the IOTA integration to use the light with APEX? Do you have access to a PAR Meter? When do you want to view your tank? What is your preference in color? Do you like a Blue tank or a White tank?

Upvote 0

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I a couple 9Xs and are familiar with them. I think part of the reason no one has responded yet is we need alot more details.

What coral are you planning on keeping? Is this the only light? Are you planning on using the IOTA integration to use the light with APEX? Do you have access to a PAR Meter? When do you want to view your tank? What is your preference in color? Do you like a Blue tank or a White tank?
I wonder why OP didn’t respond to this. I will though, I have 2 over my Cade 120, SPS tank, I have my own PAR meter, peak hours are maxed at 52%. About 18” above water level. Acro tips about 3” below water, bases and rock shelf about 8” below. Acros see a range of 250-400 par. Hot spots where the 2 lights cones intersect.
That’s just a quick recap of the set up. About the lights… I love the power, certainly no shortage of it. But I wish the spread was better. I also would gladly sacrifice the “shimmer” to get a little more customizability for pop in coral color. I set up a max nano cause my friend offered it to me. I put a radion 15 blue over it. Absolutely love what it does color wise for the coral, but I put my par meter on it and at 100% power in a nano tank the highest you’re gonna see is maybe 300.
Now I’m in a spot where I want to supplement my AP9x lights with some led bars, I gotta remove shadowing in my acro colonies. I’m thinking about the Hybrid Quad 36” Reef Brite set up since it’s comparable with the AP9x lights…
How are you set up? Even with my own Par meter I still question the schedule I have set… would love to hear what you have going on.

Upvote 0

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why OP didn’t respond to this. I will though, I have 2 over my Cade 120, SPS tank, I have my own PAR meter, peak hours are maxed at 52%. About 18” above water level. Acro tips about 3” below water, bases and rock shelf about 8” below. Acros see a range of 250-400 par. Hot spots where the 2 lights cones intersect.
That’s just a quick recap of the set up. About the lights… I love the power, certainly no shortage of it. But I wish the spread was better. I also would gladly sacrifice the “shimmer” to get a little more customizability for pop in coral color. I set up a max nano cause my friend offered it to me. I put a radion 15 blue over it. Absolutely love what it does color wise for the coral, but I put my par meter on it and at 100% power in a nano tank the highest you’re gonna see is maybe 300.
Now I’m in a spot where I want to supplement my AP9x lights with some led bars, I gotta remove shadowing in my acro colonies. I’m thinking about the Hybrid Quad 36” Reef Brite set up since it’s comparable with the AP9x lights…
How are you set up? Even with my own Par meter I still question the schedule I have set… would love to hear what you have going on.
I run my ap9x with 4× 24" t5 and a reef brite xho blue. the kessil is a good light but needs help with coverage, in my small shallow tank it requires about 18" above water level.

Attachments

• 20231124_153307.jpg
    20231124_153307.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my ap9x with 4× 24" t5 and a reef brite xho blue. the kessil is a good light but needs help with coverage, in my small shallow tank it requires about 18" above water level.
Yea, that’s exactly why mine are raised up that high as well. Luckily they are capable of putting out enough power to handle the additional height needed to spread the coverage. I think if I did it over again tho, I would go a different direction. Probably Orpheks with T5s.
The Reef Brite hybrid set up is pretty pricey, Iv considered just doing a complete relight more the. A few times. I just can’t bite the bullet and do it.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back