Help with bulkhead question

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The incorrect sized holes were drilled for a return bulkhead ... i really don’t want to do a 3/4... Will this work? If so is silicone the best or is something else?

note.. it wouldn’t be a reducer there it would be a 1” fitting

A2A740C9-784C-4C38-9334-A9880896254A.jpeg

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do not use silicone on bulkheads, use a pvc reducer

Last edited:
OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can this be done without a bulkhead or will it leak? Is a bulkhead the only thing to use when it comes to bottom drilled tanks

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the hole is drilled for a 3/4" bulkhead, that is what you have to use.

yeah :/ ugh dang it! lol. I may get lucky with ABS vs sched 80... just measured it and it’s just barely the size

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well if it's any consolation, many that use a 1" return bulkhead end up reducing it down to 3/4" for loc-line fittings.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if it's any consolation, many that use a 1" return bulkhead end up reducing it down to 3/4" for loc-line fittings.

Very true, but the 1” would get reduced down after a t-fitting so if it’s reduced to 3/4 before the T.. gph would do way down. Hopefully the ABS will do the trick, fingers crossed!

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the rest of this tank look like? Does this have an overflow with 2 holes? If so make a herbie and have return go up the back. You will love not hearing the constant toilet flushing of a single drain.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the rest of this tank look like? Does this have an overflow with 2 holes? If so make a herbie and have return go up the back. You will love not hearing the constant toilet flushing of a single drain.

D9F38055-AF27-4B4D-8DD6-FC9082238CE5.jpeg 1CA3963C-1E4C-4676-940A-5B2DDB193B92.jpeg

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 holes in bottom? Thats gotta be for a closed loop

Is a closed loop when you primarily use the return pumps for water flow? If that’s the case then yes, but i still may supplement with gyres.
The two small holes will T off to 3/4 pvc lines that will run up the corner of the tank, and then at the end of those I’ll have dual lock line fittings. So a total of 8 output

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a closed loop when you primarily use the return pumps for water flow? If that’s the case then yes, but i still may supplement with gyres.
The two small holes will T off to 3/4 pvc lines that will run up the corner of the tank, and then at the end of those I’ll have dual lock line fittings. So a total of 8 output
You use a pump for flow, not the return pump. You would have a plastic screen on one of these, that pipe runs to the inlet of an external pump. Pipe leaves the pump and T's to the other two hole. You could then T off the pipes inside the tank and useing loc-lines really position these to get great flow. Then hide pipe with rockwork. Personally, i would drill the back for a ghost or similiar overflow, run return lines up back. You gotta put valves on those closed loop holes so that the pump can be replaced.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The incorrect sized holes were drilled for a return bulkhead ... i really don’t want to do a 3/4... Will this work? If so is silicone the best or is something else?

note.. it wouldn’t be a reducer there it would be a 1” fitting

A2A740C9-784C-4C38-9334-A9880896254A.jpeg

There isn’t really enough ‘shoulder’ on a standard 1” PVC fitting for acceptable safety, particularly if the bulkhead is open to the entire tank volume. You could potentially make one by solvent welding a flat piece of PVC to the fitting. The more sensible recommendation is to just use 3/4”. If the hole is sized for a Sch80 3/4” bulkhead, you may well be able to fit in a Sch40 1” one instead. You could also potentially over-drill the holes as long as the tank is not tempered.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a nice tank! Are those three dark squares in the bottom where the holes are? If so it’s drilled for a closed loop. It still needs to be drilled for either an internal or external overflow AND return holes. If this isn’t clear you should slow down and do more research into all these items.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everyone’s looking at the tank differently ha it’s not a closed loop the middle hole is for the overflow. More than welcome to check out the build thread to see it progress!

and i was just upset about the bulkhead not fitting..I’m not going to chance it by rigging something up so instead, i ordered an abs bulkhead which should just barely fit

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big one in the middle is the suction line to your closed loop pump. The other 2 smaller ones are your closed loop returns off the pump discharge. You have no overflow drilled into that tank. You’ll either need to drill or use a siphon overflow box if you want to have a sump.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everyone’s looking at the tank differently ha it’s not a closed loop the middle hole is for the overflow. More than welcome to check out the build thread to see it progress!

and i was just upset about the bulkhead not fitting..I’m not going to chance it by rigging something up so instead, i ordered an abs bulkhead which should just barely fit

I love how people are talking to you like you didn't custom order the BRAND NEW tank with a plumbing setup already in mind ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

Jeff if the holes are 1 3/4" the ABS will fit just fine, might even have a little extra wiggle room.

I do agree that your drain setup isn't ideal being a durso on such a large tank. But I'm sure you have weighed the options and went with what you feel is right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how people are talking to you like you didn't custom order the BRAND NEW tank with a plumbing setup already in mind ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

Jeff if the holes are 1 3/4" the ABS will fit just fine, might even have a little extra wiggle room.

I do agree that your drain setup isn't ideal being a durso on such a large tank. But I'm sure you have weighed the options and went with what you feel is right.

meh it’s whatever lol.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back