Help with coral placement

mosertree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased some new corals for my 32gal biocube. We have a hammer coral, green star and candy cane.

I would appreciate help with where to place my new corals in my tank.
464B213D-92FF-4899-ABC4-7B5B6A17D47D.jpeg
5FF917E2-25E4-4DC1-85EF-1B913871B6EA.jpeg
55318AFA-6B56-4E1C-90CE-E46287411BE2.jpeg
464B213D-92FF-4899-ABC4-7B5B6A17D47D.jpeg
523BEAA2-0CA9-44F5-BDA6-C42217384FE0.jpeg
FD8C28B2-0873-43C6-B01E-5C084C65B9B1.jpeg
455B9CBB-695F-4841-8DA5-1D1EA3E9F350.jpeg

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammer, Duncan and candy cane - moderate light and flow

Cyphastrea - low to moderate light, low to moderate indirect flow. Warning, this stuff grows fast and will rapidly take over rock. Also aggressive.

Galaxea - moderate light, moderate to slightly higher flow. They have long sweepers so watch anything thats down wind from it. They are very aggressive.

Cant help with the sympodium or Ricordea.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't glue them down if not sure. Place them and see how they react. That tank seems pretty fresh so may be an up hill battle

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't glue them down if not sure. Place them and see how they react. That tank seems pretty fresh so may be an up hill battle. Also would help to know the light you are running.

OP
OP
mosertree

mosertree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't glue them down if not sure. Place them and see how they react. That tank seems pretty fresh so may be an up hill battle. Also would help to know the light you are running.
It’s factory LED

OP
OP
mosertree

mosertree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a little over three months old. I have Coraline algae growing now so the LFS said I should be fine???

OP
OP
mosertree

mosertree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammer, Duncan and candy cane - moderate light and flow

Cyphastrea - low to moderate light, low to moderate indirect flow. Warning, this stuff grows fast and will rapidly take over rock. Also aggressive.

Galaxea - moderate light, moderate to slightly higher flow. They have long sweepers so watch anything thats down wind from it. They are very aggressive.

Cant help with the sympodium or Ricordea.
I was thinking of putting the Cyphastrea on the front legs of my rock work?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on which biocube you went with the light it came with may be a fish only light. I'd recommend placing them all higher up for now. 3 months is a good starting point. Depending on which cube you bought the lights may or may not be right for coral. I'm not that familiar with them. There are plenty of people on here who are though. Post the brand and model so we can get you some answers.

OP
OP
mosertree

mosertree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on which biocube you went with the light it came with may be a fish only light. I'd recommend placing them all higher up for now. 3 months is a good starting point. Depending on which cube you bought the lights may or may not be right for coral. I'm not that familiar with them. There are plenty of people on here who are though. Post the brand and model so we can get you some answers.
32gal coral life with factory LED

Lovelydrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your aquascaping. I think with the factory LED you probably won't be doing any SPS or if you do maybe some of the ones that don't require too much light. If you do plan on going the SPS route I would save some of your top space for those. As far as your list goes, candy canes, I might put on the sand bed or a little higher, duncans on the lowest shelf, the cyphastrea I would put towards the top or on the highest shelf.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use the search function on here, there are lots of people with your tank. Seems the stock lighting will grow most corals from a quick glance I did. Just go slow. Make sure those are doing well before going spending spree. I bought a ton of coral at around my 6 month mark and lost a bunch of them. Everyone wants a picture perfect tank but experience and tank maturity are what get you there.

OP
OP
mosertree

mosertree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your aquascaping. I think with the factory LED you probably won't be doing any SPS or if you do maybe some of the ones that don't require too much light. If you do plan on going the SPS route I would save some of your top space for those. As far as your list goes, candy canes, I might put on the sand bed or a little higher, duncans on the lowest shelf, the cyphastrea I would put towards the top or on the highest shelf.
I was under the impression that the cyphastrea preferred low light?? So you think it would rather be up higher, like on the upper arm rocks?

OP
OP
mosertree

mosertree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use the search function on here, there are lots of people with your tank. Seems the stock lighting will grow most corals from a quick glance I did. Just go slow. Make sure those are doing well before going spending spree. I bought a ton of coral at around my 6 month mark and lost a bunch of them. Everyone wants a picture perfect tank but experience and tank maturity are what get you there.
I know, lol. My intention was to take it nice and slow but then I ran across this sale LOL

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that the cyphastrea preferred low light?? So you think it would rather be up higher, like on the upper arm rocks?
They do prefer low light. Hes saying the led you have may not be adequate for corals so you want them to get as much light as possible in that case because of how much light you're actually putting out.
So up top may actually be low light for example. But someone above said it grows corals just fine so don't worry about it. Just keep an eye on them.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back