Help with coral selection for flat rock Close to top

thecouch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I finish a reno I will set up a new tank moving my fish and coral from my pico and nano. The tank I'm getting is a aqua one 36x11x11 inches (90x28x28cm). I'm setting this tank up as I won a light from aqua one in a instagram competition. It's not the most powerful light but should be OK for what I'm looking for. I will have jebao sw2 wavemaker on the left and hang on skimmer/filter on the right
IMG_20210708_083433_edit_143073761318272.jpg
IMG_20210708_083416_edit_143115740861494.jpg

I got 4kgs of marco rock and had 1kg of rock left over and built the aquascape in pics. I liked the way it looked after I finished but not sure what to put on the top of the highest rock where its flat. Its probably to high to build more levels on top for the low tank.

My stock in over tanks are 2 clowns,anemone, azure damsel, peppermint shrimp, hermit crab and a few snails who are doing a freta job of keeping the tanka pretty clean. Corals I have toadstill leather, 3 Duncans, torch, 2 small hammer, 3 new small acans

Where should I place these corals. Any suggestion what would be best for the flat rocks at the top. I don't think my light will be powerful enough for a most sps

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock flower anemones?

OP
OP
T

thecouch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock flower anemones?
This is good timing. On Australia forums and groups I'm on people have been complaining that's the ones on offer in Australia are pretty plain as can't import them from carribean. A breader/diver came on to advise he had would be sending some to place I buy from online. They had some great colours. Some comments said they can get some nice ones from North West Australia and will be starting to get more soon as they hadn't been trying till recently as it seems they weren't popular.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have time, I would get the nem in there first and see if it wants to move, if it does, let it move to its spot and give the corals ample room around it.

OP
OP
T

thecouch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have time, I would get the nem in there first and see if it wants to move, if it does, let it move to its spot and give the corals ample room around it.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm about to start cycle of my rocks in a tub to speed it up a little . Will be transferring media filter to new filter to. Was thinking of picking a spot and sticking some small rocks down to make a sort of bowl for the anemone foot but that didn't work last time and he is on almost flat vertical rock at back of tank

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm about to start cycle of my rocks in a tub to speed it up a little . Will be transferring media filter to new filter to. Was thinking of picking a spot and sticking some small rocks down to make a sort of bowl for the anemone foot but that didn't work last time and he is on almost flat vertical rock at back of tank
They will do what they want! Best to let them make up their mind before placing coral as they can actually move surprisingly fast when they want to, wouldn't want to see any corals harmed.

OP
OP
T

thecouch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If light isn’t that powerful I vote hammers frog/octospawns for that spot.

Something to give that area some movement.
I love Euphyllia corals. I find with my little tanks now with not so great lights they have been doing the best. Probably because the wavemaker has been making great water movement

OP
OP
T

thecouch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will do what they want! Best to let them make up their mind before placing coral as they can actually move surprisingly fast when they want to, wouldn't want to see any corals harmed.
Yeah I was lucky when it moved 3 times in the tank its in now it was probably the furthest spots from any corals so didn't have to move anything

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back