Help with Cyano

tpirovol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help

My sons tank is about 3x months old. It has 2 medium sized clowns and a yellow goby + a good cleanup crew.

About 1m in a thought I would be smart and skip the diatom step by removing silicates with rowfoss and bottomed out no3/4 causing Dino’s.

Got Dino’s under control quickly but about 2 weeks ago noticed red on the rocks slowly and today I see red slim on the rock.

I cannot find a clear reason for cyano, what can I do to get rid of it?

Thanks T

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Help

My sons tank is about 3x months old. It has 2 medium sized clowns and a yellow goby + a good cleanup crew.

About 1m in a thought I would be smart and skip the diatom step by removing silicates with rowfoss and bottomed out no3/4 causing Dino’s.

Got Dino’s under control quickly but about 2 weeks ago noticed red on the rocks slowly and today I see red slim on the rock.

I cannot find a clear reason for cyano, what can I do to get rid of it?

Thanks T
Many times, Dino will end with cyano especially if phosphate and nitrate has risen to elevated levels
Blow loose with turkey baster and siphon up or net up loose matter
Reduce or better yet turn off white lighting for 3-5 days and add 1.5ml Of liquid bacteria such as micro bacter XLM or 7 per 10 gallons daily during the day and at night add 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons to the sump. Clean filters daily
At end of 5 days, add snails such as margarita, trochus, cerith and nassarius to help with control
Turn whites then back on at low setting and increase 5% daily until you reach normal intensity

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 41 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back