Help with cycle

Username177013

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody, I am having a problem of whether I should add ammonia to my tank or wait until it goes down to 0. This is my 7th day of cycling my tank.

20210330_093430.jpg

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody, I am having a problem of whether I should add ammonia to my tank or wait until it goes down to 0. This is my 7th day of cycling my tank.

20210330_093430.jpg
It looks to me like you already have a fair amount of Ammonia present. How did you begin your cycling process? By the way, is that an API test kit?

OP
OP
U

Username177013

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to me like you already have a fair amount of Ammonia present. How did you begin your cycling process? By the way, is that an API test kit?
This is a Fluval Test kit and on the 2nd day of the cycle my ammonia read 6.1ppm. I waited until the ammonia would drop to 1ppm. I have waited about 6 days. Today is the 7th day of waiting and my ammonia is 2.4ppm.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a Fluval Test kit and on the 2nd day of the cycle my ammonia read 6.1ppm. I waited until the ammonia would drop to 1ppm. I have waited about 6 days. Today is the 7th day of waiting and my ammonia is 2.4ppm.

no need to add more, 5ppm max is suggested, doesn't do any harm going to 6 but will slow things down a little until the bacteria catch up, you just need to wait now.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, so ammonia increased from 1 to 2.4ppm since yesterday? Did you dose any ammonia yesterday?

OP
OP
U

Username177013

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, so ammonia increased from 1 to 2.4ppm since yesterday? Did you dose any ammonia yesterday?
No, I just waited until it would drop to 1ppm or 2ppm. Today I tested my ammonia and its around 2ppm, that's why I'm thinking if I should add some ammonia. Other have said to wait so thats what I'll do.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
think he means he was going to wait till it got to 1ppm.
No, I just waited until it would drop to 1ppm or 2ppm. Today I tested my ammonia and its around 2ppm, that's why I'm thinking if I should add some ammonia. Other have said to wait so thats what I'll do.
Ah right, gotchas. Yes just wait for ammonia to drop to 0. According to Dr. Tim: https://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling/, you should be measuring nitrites too if not already, as apparently high enough levels of nitrite can significantly inhibit nitrification.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

just keep testing ammonia and nitrites, no need to test for nitrates yet as you will not get a accurate reading on nitrates, when your ammonia and nitrites are zero, test for nitrates and you can do a water change to bring your nitrates down.

Watch for nitrites to go up, they go up slowly then quite fast, they will peak then start to come down, make sure you see they have gone up before thinking they are at zero.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 46 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back