Help with deteriorating Scoly

Slevin007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This scoly was doing great until a coral beauty started chomping on it. Once I noticed this I took the coral beauty out. But over the last week the scoly started to recede and a few holes were noticed.

My parameters were a bit low so I raised them slowly over a week to the following

Tank is is 1.5 years old us HW reefer salt and RODI water
Temp is 77

PH 8.3-8.4 fluctuates
Alk was at 5.3 have been slowly raising now at 7 on the way to 8
Magnesium was at 1000 is now at 1350
Calcium is at 414
Ph was undetectable on the Hanna phosphate lr so I have a ULR on the way.
Nitrate is at 42.5 (the mushrooms love it)

Using Hanna test kits with new reagents

All other corals are great Acans, leathers, cloves, mushrooms, RFSs

I moved the scoly to the lowest flow section of my tank with 50-70 par given the time of schedule.

Any help is appreciated I’m new to Scolys.

1710097378819.jpeg

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep several scoly and similar Cynarina and I have experienced both skeleton poking through the middle areas of flesh and edge receding as you are seeing. This was from shipping stress and how they sometimes arrived.

However it wasn’t as bad as yours. The key things that made mine heal was low placement in tank, low-medium flow, and feeding. This needs calm and good conditions to destress, and food for energy and vitamins to heal. It will only want to feed at night, after lights are out and it’s dark, so be prepared to check with a flash light at various times to see when it’s feeding tentacles are out. It could be 1 or 2 or 3 hours after being in darkness. Complete darkness. No room lights on either. Then feed it mysis, or high quality flake food. You can soak the food in aminos to give extra vitamins.

Also look into brightwell Restor. It’s for healing corals. You can soak the coral food in it also

OP
OP
Slevin007

Slevin007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep several scoly and similar Cynarina and I have experienced both skeleton poking through the middle areas of flesh and edge receding as you are seeing. This was from shipping stress and how they sometimes arrived.

However it wasn’t as bad as yours. The key things that made mine heal was low placement in tank, low-medium flow, and feeding. This needs calm and good conditions to destress, and food for energy and vitamins to heal. It will only want to feed at night, after lights are out and it’s dark, so be prepared to check with a flash light at various times to see when it’s feeding tentacles are out. It could be 1 or 2 or 3 hours after being in darkness. Complete darkness. No room lights on either. Then feed it mysis, or high quality flake food. You can soak the food in aminos to give extra vitamins.

Also look into brightwell Restor. It’s for healing corals. You can soak the coral food in it also

Thank you so much for the help. The scoly was looking really bad this AM so I went to place a little food on the mouth and as soon as the food landed on it the tissue opened up. I have no clue what has happened and this being my first scoly I’d like to make sure I can mitigate this in the future.

I’ll grab some of the restor now and have it on hand. I’ll also make sure my levels are perfect before pursuing another.

It’s strange though the rest of the tank seems happy

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they are stressed they recede into the skeleton and they can recede so much the points of the skeleton poke through the flesh causing holes. This heals up in a few days similar to us getting a small scrape or cut.

The edge receding takes a little longer and that needs to regrow. Nutrients and vitamins and proper flow help this out

For me the holes healed up in a few days and the edge showed improvement in a week with feeding and good conditions

OP
OP
Slevin007

Slevin007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they are stressed they recede into the skeleton and they can recede so much the points of the skeleton poke through the flesh causing holes. This heals up in a few days similar to us getting a small scrape or cut.

The edge receding takes a little longer and that needs to regrow. Nutrients and vitamins and proper flow help this out

For me the holes healed up in a few days and the edge showed improvement in a week with feeding and good conditions
I have a feeling it was stressed from shipping and then the constant chomping from the coral beauty pushed it past its limit. I really appreciate the help and advice on this.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 2 Cynarina in the mail today, they are still opening. One is perfect so far, the other has skeleton poking through the flesh as I described earlier. Very common for these donut corals when stressed. This will heal in 1-3 days as long as the spot I picked is stable and low flow

The spots on the ridges in the front are skeleton showing because it retracted a lot. Next step in the healing process, when the coral is comfortable it will inflate more and then skeleton won’t poke through. It will have tiny holes in those spots. Then it will heal just like if we got a cut. This process can take 3-5 days in my experience

Attachments

• C123802A-2D07-4101-84AB-310A3DECF405.jpeg
    C123802A-2D07-4101-84AB-310A3DECF405.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 20

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took this picture at night with a flashlight to show what I mean about skeleton poking through and creating holes

Attachments

• 40BD1431-D3FA-4493-AD5E-A58C0C549257.jpeg
    40BD1431-D3FA-4493-AD5E-A58C0C549257.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 22

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back