Help with Ecotech battery back-up please ! (for Vectra M2 pump)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had my new system installed a few days ago and it included a brand new Ecotech battery back up with booster, hooked up to my also nee Vectra M2 pump but it does not kick in when the pump is disconnected.

I will definitely call Ecotech but I thought I’d check here first, in case it’s something easy to fix. It has 100% charged and the light on the power supply is green. If I turn off the pump (disconnect), nothing happens. If I unplug the battery back-up, the light on the power supply remain green (which means it’s working I suppose).

Here is how they installed it. What should I be doing / checking?

Thanks !

1705771085024.png

1705771121170.png

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to verify, but I think the booster lights up as well... do you see any light coming from the booster?

And I think there are inline fuses, have you checked those?
What are airline fuses ?

I didn’t hook it up so I’m going to have to look for the booster part. It’s all very tidy but hardly accessible :-(

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was in the box. I think it’s called « Ecotech Marine Battery Back Up Cable with Inline Fuse ».

There is a similar cable installed already, so maybe the guy installed the wrong one ? It’s the first time he was installing a booster for the battery back-up.

Here is what he didn’t use and was left in the box :

1705773171826.jpeg

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no way of using this part, except taking apart the booster and replacing the existing wire with those.

I really don’t know anything about electricity and I’m very bad at diy in general so I’m not touching this unless I get specific instructions and know how.

Ecotech really sucks at making instruction manuals. It’s like they have made an oath to make them as incomplete and useless as possible.

This sucks. :-(

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the part on the picture is for (replacement part or linking 2 battery back-ups). It seems like it’s not needed in this case. I have no idea why it’s not working then.

1705777419956.png

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use mobius?
im new to mobius but did see some battery backup options in the app somewhere.
Maybe it needs setting up in mobius ‍♂️
I know for my mp10 if I unplug its power lead the mp10 then goes into a predefined slower speed with the battery back up.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use mobius?
im new to mobius but did see some battery backup options in the app somewhere.
Maybe it needs setting up in mobius ‍♂️
I know for my mp10 if I unplug its power lead the mp10 then goes into a predefined slower speed with the battery back up.
I tried using Mobius but honestly this app is a nightmare so I don’t want to use it at all. I’ve checked and didn’t see any options about the battery back-up.

Everytime I pair the Vectra pump with Mobius, it screws my settings and water levels go berzerk and I have to fiddle with the gate valve.

While running with Mobius, I would get up in the morning and the pump would be at a different setting.

Mobius shouldn’t be needed to run a battery back-up. I hope it isn’t…

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried using Mobius but honestly this app is a nightmare so I don’t want to use it at all. I’ve checked and didn’t see any options about the battery back-up.

Everytime I pair the Vectra pump with Mobius, it screws my settings and water levels go berzerk and I have to fiddle with the gate valve.

While running with Mobius, I would get up in the morning and the pump would be at a different setting.

Mobius shouldn’t be needed to run a battery back-up. I hope it isn’t…
Yeah I completely agree mobius is a bit of a nightmare and lacks help on how to use.
I also agree that you shouldn’t need the app to run battery backup and I for sure didn’t for my battery backup to work on my mp10, after having a Quick Look it seems mobius is used to adjust the speed to run your vectra pump when in battery backup mode.
Im not sure if it’s the same for vectra and Vortech but if you unplug your main power supply to your vectra(just unplug or switch it off) does your controller then light up green and indicate a lower speed?

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure if it’s the same for vectra and Vortech but if you unplug your main power supply to your vectra(just unplug or switch it off) does your controller then light up green and indicate a lower speed?
Yes, it’s the same battery back-up, except you need to buy what they call a booster for it to work with the Vectra pump.

If I unplug the cable directly on the Vectra, nothing happens, it stays unlit. I haven’t tried unplugging from the powerbar though. I wonder if that would make a difference?

I’ll try that tomorrow, I don’t want to mess with the pump now.

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a vectar s2 with the battery back up
Yes, it’s the same battery back-up, except you need to buy what they call a booster for it to work with the Vectra pump.

If I unplug the cable directly on the Vectra, nothing happens, it stays unlit. I haven’t tried unplugging from the powerbar though. I wonder if that would make a difference?

I’ll try that tomorrow, I don’t want to mess with the pump now.

lead in storage for when hopefully my missus lets me get a bigger tank again lol

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green light on the lead should be closest to the controller and not the backup if that makes sense
What do you mean ?

Did you see the picture above, can you see if it’s okay ?

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the lead coming out of the green light end of the booster cable should go to controller not battery back up, I can’t really tell from the pic sorry

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back