BoxInSox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

My tank is just over 3 months old - 53 gal total volume Red Sea 200+

I've had a sudden spike in hair algae, and it's mostly concentrated on my rock work and taking over some of my zoa colonies, etc that are glued to the rock work.

Current testing with Hanna checkers show Phosphates at 0.05 and Nitrates at 10.8. I know that neither of these are high, but it is out of balance with the 16:1 ratio I've read about by a lot.

I just run a filter sock and UV skimmer in my sump for now, along with a bag of carbon.

Another unique thing going on is that I'm currently going fishes due to a velvet or brooklynella outbreak (have about 4 weeks to go to hit the 77 day cycle to reintroduce fish). I do have various snails, a cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, tuxedo urchin, and conchs to help keep things clean without fish.

So my questions focus on 1) Are my phos and Nitrates out of balance, and should I address that first, and 2) would a chemical approach like Vibrant or something be warranted here, to try and save the corals?

A few pics are attached for reference.

Thanks!

IMG_4250.jpeg IMG_4249.jpeg IMG_4248.jpeg IMG_4247.jpeg

hrogi-salty-guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would make a vacuum line for air hose and add a stiff end to it. Pull off the hair algae the best you can once a week.

I am feel this might be part of the tanks cycling and the war for food and stuff is happening.

I have no silver bullet.

I have been fighting hair Algea for years and it comes and goes.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 36 19.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 139 74.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.8%
Back