Help with ID, friend or foe?

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blenny is becoming a Pita and messing with my zoas so i had to move some rocks around and i found this...
Good, bad? Set it on fire, put it back in the tank?
Thank you.

20221111_145317.jpg 20221111_145349.jpg 20221111_145423.jpg

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would appear that advice is mixed on bristleworms, which this is. Many say it's a beneficial part of the clean up crew that feed on bacterial floc, detritus, and uneaten food and waste. Others liken them to a mix between a porcupine, badger, and graboid, assigning malice where there is none.

They're simply scavengers, and if you have them in your tank, I advise nitrile gloves to protect against accidental contact, as the bristles are quite sharp and tend to stick in the skin like fiberglass. Of course, I advise nitrile gloves in the tank anyways to avoid accidental contamination.

OP
OP
Reefer_kano

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so now im confused.
So they really arent bad?, just more for me if i happen to touch one?

OP
OP
Reefer_kano

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a bristleworm. They're scavengers that tend to get a bad rep in the hobby. If you grab them, they will deposit spines in you that can be painful, but otherwise, if you don't mind the look of them, they're harmless
Thank you!

OP
OP
Reefer_kano

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so what type of worms are actually not wanted in your tank? Pictures?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My blenny is becoming a Pita and messing with my zoas so i had to move some rocks around and i found this...
Good, bad? Set it on fire, put it back in the tank?
Thank you.

20221111_145317.jpg 20221111_145349.jpg 20221111_145423.jpg
Although not welcome in my tanks, its a common bristleworm that eats uneaten food and detritus and considered part of cleanup crew

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so what type of worms are actually not wanted in your tank? Pictures?
Bobbit worms and fire worms are the Annelids I'd dislike in my system. Most others are harmless.

There are a number of flatworms that are bad although not true "worms"

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the difference between fire worms and bristle worms is pretty apparent when you see then in a side by side despite being often interchanged. Fire worms have INFINITELY more painful stings and will irritate corals and get much much bigger. Their spines appear in tufts rather than the more uniform distribution of a bristle worm. I don't often see fire worms in reef tanks, but it is possible. See them when I'm diving though and give them a pretty wide berth (after I get way too close to get then in the videos)

Bristleworm
Screenshot_20221111_201449.jpg

Fireworm
Screenshot_20221111_201418.jpg

OP
OP
Reefer_kano

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the difference between fire worms and bristle worms is pretty apparent when you see then in a side by side despite being often interchanged. Fire worms have INFINITELY more painful stings and will irritate corals and get much much bigger. Their spines appear in tufts rather than the more uniform distribution of a bristle worm. I don't often see fire worms in reef tanks, but it is possible. See them when I'm diving though and give them a pretty wide berth (after I get way too close to get then in the videos)

Bristleworm
Screenshot_20221111_201449.jpg

Fireworm
Screenshot_20221111_201418.jpg
Thank you for the images, they are very helpful

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just going to throw in my two cents. Looks like a typical bristle worm to me. They are detritus eaters and pose no serious threat to your reef in most instances. They are actually beneficial as part of a CUC.

They can multiply and become an eyesore if you feed heavily, and your tank supports a large population without a predator to keep the population down.

My melanaurus wrasse tends to keep the population in check. I have rarely seen a bristle worm in the DT, although they are more than evident in the refugium. Mel does a heck of a job.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Reefer_kano

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just going to throw in my two cents. Looks like a typical bristle worm to me. They are detritus eaters and pose no serious threat to your reef in most instances. They are actually beneficial as part of a CUC.

They can multiply and become an eyesore if you feed heavily, and your tank supports a large population without a predator to keep the population down.

My melanaurus wrasse tends to keep the population in check. I have rarely seen a bristle worm in the DT, although they are more than evident in the refugium. Mel does a heck of a job.

Hope this helps.
Im all for anything that going to help with detritus so at least ill know next time.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 97 80.8%
  • Other.

Back