Pest? Friend? Foe?

AlexR9364

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20231204_171052.jpg

OK guys, any ideas what this is? A sea hare? A nudibranch? ( Are those one and the same? ) Is it a friend or foe? I grabbed it off some GSP and it is currently isolated outside the tank. I do dip all my corals and I haven't added anything new for months, so not sure where it has come from...

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's off GSP I assume it's a octocoral-eating nudibranch, though @ISpeakForTheSeas any insights?

Also as an FYI, sea hares are a beneficial species of nudibranch. What you have definitely looks like a nudibranch of some species, though unlikely a beneficial species

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the pic is a bit yellow and blurry to make out the pattern clearly, but I'd guess an Arminid nudibranch, probably a Dermatobranchus sp. - so, most likely an octocoral eater (eating things like soft corals, gorgonians, GSP, etc.)

Edit: To clarify though, sea hares aren't nudibranchs - they come from the taxonomic Order Aplysiida; nudibranchs come from the taxonomic order Nudibranchia (though you could argue the title includes Pleurobranchs, which would mean the title nudibranch would be applied to the superorder Nudipleura).

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the pic is a bit yellow and blurry to make out the pattern clearly, but I'd guess an Arminid nudibranch, probably a Dermatobranchus sp. - so, most likely an octocoral eater (eating things like soft corals, gorgonians, GSP, etc.)

Edit: To clarify though, sea hares aren't nudibranchs - they come from the taxonomic Order Aplysiida; nudibranchs come from the taxonomic order Nudibranchia (though you could argue the title includes Pleurobranchs, which would mean the title nudibranch would be applied to the superorder Nudipleura).
My bad, always thought sea hares were nudibranchs

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back