My first tank - Cleaning a 2nd hand tank?

AlexR9364

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

So I have managed to get my hands on a 2nd hand Aqua One tank, sump and cabinet! The journey can finally begin! However, before I start filling her up, aqua-scaping etc she needs a ruddy good clean. I realise I don't want to use any soap products as this will leave residue, so what do you clean a 2nd hand tank with? I need something that will clean any leftover nasties but nothing that is going to damage livestock in the long run...

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you are going to cycle it Fishless you will add PURE ammonia to it so use that. I use that now, used to use bleach but rinsed it above, and beyond

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

So I have managed to get my hands on a 2nd hand Aqua One tank, sump and cabinet! The journey can finally begin! However, before I start filling her up, aqua-scaping etc she needs a ruddy good clean. I realise I don't want to use any soap products as this will leave residue, so what do you clean a 2nd hand tank with? I need something that will clean any leftover nasties but nothing that is going to damage livestock in the long run...
After you've scrubbed it out with good old elbow grease, to make it biologically clean a half cup of plain bleach per 100l volume will kill any nasties that may be lurking. Just let it circulate for a couple of hours.

Just rinse well, and let completely air dry before use.

OP
OP
A

AlexR9364

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you are going to cycle it Fishless you will add PURE ammonia to it so use that. I use that now, used to use bleach but rinsed it above, and beyond
I did consider using a little bit of bleach on the very worst areas and giving the rest a good scrub with a sponge and water.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bad news is you can kill everything or you keep everything and manually remove the things you don't want later.
There is no way to just kill nasties.

Fair warning. I you kill everything and you got your hands on a tank that was started with rock from the ocean
it will be almost impossible to get that stuff back.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bad news is you can kill everything or you keep everything and manually remove the things you don't want later.
There is no way to just kill nasties.

Fair warning. I you kill everything and you got your hands on a tank that was started with rock from the ocean
it will be almost impossible to get that stuff back.
I think it’s already drained but needs a scrub

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s already drained but needs a scrub

Actually scrubbing with a stiff brush is fine to clean live rock.

If it isn't live rock then bleach removes organics and acids like vinegar, muriatic acid and citric acid remove carbonate deposits from equipment and glass. You can use vinegar straight. The other two must be diluted into water and involve a slight risk. They are stronger acids and work faster and remove tougher deposits so necessary sometimes.

Avoid the "splashless" bleach and just use the regular old kind.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If it isn't live rock then bleach removes organics and acids like vinegar, muriatic acid and citric acid remove carbonate deposits from equipment and glass. You can use vinegar straight. The other two must be diluted into water and involve a slight risk. They are stronger acids and work faster and remove tougher deposits so necessary sometimes.

I’ve always been scared of bleach…Lol

OP
OP
A

AlexR9364

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The tank is empty, I will be putting in my own substrate and live rock as I guessed the pests/un-wanted bacteria would be impossible to remove from such items.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting rid of any living stuff is what dilute bleach is for.

If you have what looks like hard water stains, dilute vinegar is good for that.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay well buddy everything I heard is that it is not as bad as first

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back