Help with ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter goody
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

goody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
194
Location
Carlsbad, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This "ball" appeared this morning. I'm wondering if it could be a dropped goniopora baby from a nearby colony, sponge, or maybe it's an oddly shaped asternia. It hasn't moved all day. Any thoughts?

PXL_20260712_210253130.jpg PXL_20260712_210353276.MP.jpg
 
It was an asternia starfish. It was wrapped around a healthy zoa polyp.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260712_225727086.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20260712_225727086.MP~2.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20260712_225915216.jpg
    PXL_20260712_225915216.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 24
It was an asternia starfish. It was wrapped around a healthy zoa polyp.
It was probably trying to eat the zoa...

There are some Asterina and/or Aquilonastra species that eat zoanthids. Every time I see one I take it out of the tank immediately. Without a Harlequin shrimp (Hymenocera picta) it's probably impossible to get all of them, but if you keep the numbers low, they won't cause too much trouble.
 
It was probably trying to eat the zoa...

There are some Asterina and/or Aquilonastra species that eat zoanthids. Every time I see one I take it out of the tank immediately. Without a Harlequin shrimp (Hymenocera picta) it's probably impossible to get all of them, but if you keep the numbers low, they won't cause too much trouble.
Yeah, I've been pulling them out of my tank the last couple of weeks.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new