Help with ID

Kyle Rinker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please take a look at the below images. One is a close up of a piece of Tonga branch and otherthe image is a zoomed out picture of the same rock. This stuff has been slowly spreading its way across my tank over the last few months. The tank is less than a year old and is a 125 gallon display with 38 gallon sump. The tank is lightly stocked--2 clowns, 1 cardinal, 1 sailfin tang, and 1 firefish. I thought I was dealing with cyano, partly because it is red in color but also because of the appearance. It is not snotty, stringy, and does not retain any bubbles. However, parts of this are suspicious and make me lean more towards dinoflagellates, despite the fact the appearance doesn't look that way. This stuff is all smooth in appearance and seems to grow in slick splotches.

20190526_155605.jpg

20190526_155611.jpg

For the most part, this infestation occurs where the light is the brightest. However, there are some places where it is growing in shaded areas, like under overhangs. In my testing this week, both nitrate and phosphate were 0.0. I assumed this was due to aggressive nutrient removal through the use of refugium and chaetomorpha growth.
This stuff has not covered any corals and does not grow at all on the sand, which is odd to me. What are your thoughts?

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like bacteria bloom.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back