Help with Identifying this Algae

Noah's Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am in need of help with trying to identify this algae and am open to suggestions for how to midigate it popping up again. At first glance I thought it to be green hair algae, and it could very well be, but up close it doesn't look the same. It isn't as dense and it is fairly light in color... almost slime-like in the way it is growing. The other odd thing is that I conducted a water test and recived the following results:
Ph: 8.2
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm
Phosphates: .15 ppm
My thoughts are that there is something else in the water making it go off the rails and I plan to take the water to a fish store for more detailed tests. I'd deeply appreciate any input and reccomendations for a course of action to take with this.

Algae1.jpg Algae2.jpg Algae3.jpg

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like a dinoflagellate bloom

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like chrysophytes to me. Is it a relatively new tank? Does it blow off easily with a turkey baster? Could also be a pale, sickly filamented algae as well.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut your light duration to 6 hours, only blue and UV. Get nitrates to 10ppn. Add sufficient varied cleaner crew. Manually remove weekly with water change.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

consider using ChemiClean as a Cynobacteria treatment. It looks like air bubbles in your algae​

Calothrix​

calothrix 300x225

These species of cyano often appear as a light slimy yet hairy/fuzzy nastiness that loosely attaches to your rock work. Air bubbles are usually trapped while escaping the "algae", just like in the picture to the left. Calothrix is a type of blue green algae that looks very similar to Dinos. We have them next to each other in the guide to help you distinguish the difference between the two.

Manual Removal: Remove the rock and scrub, and then fine tune with a toothbrush. Let the cleaners get the rest. It helps to use a net to collect the debris that will occur as a result of the toothbrushing.

Starving it out: Use a phosban reactor or a macro like chaeto to take down phosphate. If you have a nitrate problem too, you can add more live rock or rubble to the tank, do some more wcs, add macro, add dsb, etc...

Clean Up Crew: Chitons, Nerites and other cyano cleaners work well.

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

consider using ChemiClean as a Cynobacteria treatment. It looks like air bubbles in your algae​

Calothrix​

calothrix 300x225

These species of cyano often appear as a light slimy yet hairy/fuzzy nastiness that loosely attaches to your rock work. Air bubbles are usually trapped while escaping the "algae", just like in the picture to the left. Calothrix is a type of blue green algae that looks very similar to Dinos. We have them next to each other in the guide to help you distinguish the difference between the two.

Manual Removal: Remove the rock and scrub, and then fine tune with a toothbrush. Let the cleaners get the rest. It helps to use a net to collect the debris that will occur as a result of the toothbrushing.

Starving it out: Use a phosban reactor or a macro like chaeto to take down phosphate. If you have a nitrate problem too, you can add more live rock or rubble to the tank, do some more wcs, add macro, add dsb, etc...

Clean Up Crew: Chitons, Nerites and other cyano cleaners work well.

If this is true I would probably try a 3 day course of Maracyn (Erythromycin for aquarium use) - 1 packet per 10 gallons

After treatment - do a water change, reduce light and run charcoal

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back