Help with iding this blenny

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

In the LFS i saw this blenny and it kind looks nice to me. But I dont know what is it called and either it is herbivore or carnivor? Also if it is reef safe or not. Im asking because the guy at LFS disnt know anything about saltwater.

Help is highly apreciated

IMG_6208.JPG
IMG_6209.JPG

IMG_6211.JPG

IMG_6212.JPG

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a sailfin blenny, AKA lawn mower blenny, aka algae blenny. They need a decent supply of algae to thrive but will eat some things like mysis.

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm it was trying to pick stuff on the rock at the store. I have recently got hair algae growing on the rocks and back wall. Do you think getting it will help getting rid of the hair algae?

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm it was trying to pick stuff on the rock at the store. I have recently got hair algae growing on the rocks and back wall. Do you think getting it will help getting rid of the hair algae?

He would help with keeping algae under control. Hence the name "lawn mower blenny".

ColbyNTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will but make sure he will eat other foods. I had one once for several months. He was so much fun to watch. Very personable and ate a lot of algea. That was the problem. That’s all he would eat! I started using rodi water and all my algea was gone. He would eat nothing else. Flakes, pellets, mysis, every color algea sheet..... I lost the little booger and was very sad. If you can see him take fish food in the store, I would get him. If not, do not buy.

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will but make sure he will eat other foods. I had one once for several months. He was so much fun to watch. Very personable and ate a lot of algea. That was the problem. That’s all he would eat! I started using rodi water and all my algea was gone. He would eat nothing else. Flakes, pellets, mysis, every color algea sheet..... I lost the little booger and was very sad. If you can see him take fish food in the store, I would get him. If not, do not buy.

Good point I will visit the store and take some of my pellets with me and see if it eats the pellets i have at home and feed my tank.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back