Help with LED fixture for a 26G Bowfront.

Dannyboy0076

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm getting back into the hobby after a 7 year break. I have had reef tanks for 15 years before I took the break. I have had success with SPS, LPS and softies. My last tank was a 75g reef ready, 30g sump, coralife 125 skimmer, 60lbs of tonga live rock, 3 koralias in the tank as well as the mag drive return pump for circulation. My lighting was a 48" 2-250w HQI MH with 14k bulbs and 2 T5 actinics, the fixture was one of the cheapies off ebay but it grew SPS like nobodies business. I used RODI water and Tropic Marin salt. I dosed kalkwasser ocassionally. The birth of my 2nd child led to me selling off my tank.
My question for you guys is if I wanted an SPS dominated tank, then what LED fixture would do the trick? I have about a $250 budget for lights and I know nothing about watt per gallon or PAR levels for LED's.

My natural instinct is to get a 24" HQI 175" 14k MH/T5 fixture that I have confidence in but heat will be a concern.

What do you guys think?

Fish_BowLisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great luck with Kessil. The pendants are awesome! My softies love them more than the halide I ditched for the kessil. I have two pendants above my 48" 55 gallon rectangular tank. The new Tuna lights are around your budget but for two it would set you back unless you got them on eBay or something like that. I follow a DIY guy on you tube "The DIY Guy" is his name I think. Just google DIY LED and he has a video about making customizable LED lights for your tank. It the video with the 30+ watt LED lights. He tells you about a site where you get the LED's, and emitters, and how to set it all up. Pretty cool.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back