Help With Milky Fog From Sand

  • Thread starter Thread starter TysFish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TysFish

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 6, 2025
Messages
99
Reaction score
74
Location
Houston
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m facing an issue in my Marineland 40 breeder. I have 40 lbs of dry aragonite and 10 lbs of live aragonite sand in the tank. I washed the dry aragonite several times before adding it, but whenever I touch the sand even lightly, it still kicks up a ton of milky fog.

I’m planning to keep a Peacock Mantis Shrimp, and I know they like to dig and move sand constantly. I’m worried that once he’s in there, it’ll cloud the whole tank every time he digs.

Right now, I have two live rocks in the tank and nothing else—it’s just started cycling.

If anyone has experience with this, I’d really appreciate advice on how to get the fine dust under control before adding the mantis.

My current plan is to stir the sand daily to bring up as much silt as possible, run my filter with Poly-Fil to catch it, then rinse the Poly-Fil and repeat until eventually I can stir the sand without it clouding up.

Does this sound reasonable? Has anyone tried this approach or have a better idea to stabilize the sand?

Thanks so much for any help!
 
I think your plan is good but I would replace the PolyFil each time rather than just rinsing. This will probably slow your cycle because you'll be tossing beneficial bacteria but just rinsing it out will do the same.

Do you have anywhere in your setup where you can use a polishing pad or filter floss?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new