OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...the Tang ended up dying. Looked good after the first round of Prazipro...was swimming around a couple days and eating. Then a couple days ago, it started hiding and not eating and started getting patchy again. That was after round two of Prazipro. I took it out today to get some pics. I ran my finger along the body and was able to easily rub white “gunk” off the body. I’m not sure what’s going on. The Emperor Angel still looks the same as in the pics. I will do another dip tomorrow but the first did not have anything that looked like what came off the Tang. Here are the pics...
f3c2b06941d8970767f564b32f8c5fa9.jpg
a772cddfa6d850bf0d024a6e84b26b64.jpg
20ba86f39fa5b648696577474567c9f0.jpg

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am baffled too. Brook is the closest thing I can think of, but the big bumps last week don’t go with that.

Keep in mind this all occurred after copper treatment for Ich with no signs of anything during treatment and several days into a new tank. All new water...I did move the pvc and rock, so maybe I messed up doing that?

The Tang actually looked perfect and I was thinking about how cool the blue looked the first several days.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am baffled too. Brook is the closest thing I can think of, but the big bumps last week don’t go with that.

Keep in mind this all occurred after copper treatment for Ich with no signs of anything during treatment and several days into a new tank. All new water...I did move the pvc and rock, so maybe I messed up doing that?

The Tang actually looked perfect and I was thinking about how cool the blue looked the first several days.
Rock can definitely carry parasites in...

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock can definitely carry parasites in...

Seems weird that the original problem was Ich and after copper these other things pop up.

I’m almost ready to give up on my 240g at this point. My first setup came down with something weird that nobody could identify. A year later there was something that looked like Velvet and/or Brook. Then I get this. No issues in my 60g reef or my son’s 60g FOWLR or my other son’s 28g.

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Metroplex and Kanaplex but have not treated with that.

I will have to see about getting Formalin. I’m not sure I’ve seen that sold at my LFSs.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems weird that the original problem was Ich and after copper these other things pop up.

I’m almost ready to give up on my 240g at this point. My first setup came down with something weird that nobody could identify. A year later there was something that looked like Velvet and/or Brook. Then I get this. No issues in my 60g reef or my son’s 60g FOWLR or my other son’s 28g.
I’m sorry, I truly do know the feeling...

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Emp didn’t make it. I wish I had some idea of what happened in a new tank after being in QT with copper and looking great for a while.

I’ve decided I’m going to give my Magnificent Foxface and Bluelip Tang away, break down the 240g and I’m not sure from there...might just sell it and start fresh with something different. I’ve had no luck with this “Dream tank”, so maybe it’s a sign to move on.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Lessons learned in this hobby can be costly. Based on your description it appears the Emperor was a carrier of flukes as well as ICH.
Likely, your fish succumbed to a secondary bacteria infection. The copper treatment took care of the ICH but not the latter. Even a heavy dose of antibiotics may have been too late. Some flukes are Prazi resistant. Drives home the importance of a strict quarantine protocol for everything wet.
I hope you don’t give up your “dream tank” just yet.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 113 77.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back