Help with my Powder Blue Tang

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this Tang for about 18 mo thd.It was pulled from my 240g due to an Ich outbreak when I introduced the juvenile Emp you see photobomb the video. They both went through four weeks of Cupramine in QT and were put into a new tank (new water, same rock and pvc as in QT) about three weeks ago. It ate and did fine through treatment, did fine the last 17 days in the new tank and then suddenly started acting strange a couple days ago. You can see something going on with it’s body in the pictures...It’s not Ich, pretty sure not Velvet. The Emperor looks fine, eats, etc. any ideas?
b7582bbb754d086042e0fc6d1bfbb48e.jpg
c779fc20aba3af866134b87da428ccac.jpg
eeddbd7487aa5663cef61ec4c67e4976.jpg

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the dip and stuff started to come off almost immediately. Some small white but also larger stuff that looked like skin flaking off. I took a couple pics while in the dip and it almost looks like Ich bumps. I’ve never dealt with any kind of worms/flukes on the body, so what do the pros think?

While in QT, I checked Cupramine levels at least daily and they were always at 0.50. Never a speck. This started almost three weeks into a clean tank and the Emp looks fine so far. I’ve got my Foxface and another Tang in the QT now that we’re coming out to join my Emp and PBT. DT stays fallow through the holidays.

069d6f6d8eb06371ef1db4f78b7d7ff1.jpg

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks a little better than in those pics but only a little bit better.

The good that I’ve noticed since the dip is that it is horizontal not vertical. Those first pics were him before, nose to the bottom of the tank. Now he is not swimming around much but at least is not in the corner like it had been.

I have Prazi but not the others. I’ve gotta figure out volume on my secondary tank. QT I have water levels marked off. The other is new and I was expecting to get stuff popping up after QT treatment.

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can Metroplex be used at the same time as Prazi it is it better to try one at a time?

I didn’t get a chance to get a good look at the Tang this morning. He was hiding in the pvc but it was not doing the “nose down” thing it had done for a couple days prior to the dip and Prazi.

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Powder Blue did have spots like yours, but the dot volume is way less than yours and I was sure mine had ich at that time. I cured mine with TTM and copper in two different time frame. If copper didn't cure it then it maybe worm or other stuff. Prazi should be OK mixing with Metro if I am correct, but remember to provide well oxygenated water in QT.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can Metroplex be used at the same time as Prazi it is it better to try one at a time?

It's not a good idea to mix liquid Prazipro with any other medication; although it's usually OK with copper.

If you're wanting to dose prazi + metro, I suggest using API General Cure which contains both medications in powder form.

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a good idea to mix liquid Prazipro with any other medication; although it's usually OK with copper.

If you're wanting to dose prazi + metro, I suggest using API General Cure which contains both medications in powder form.

I will probably just wait and see how the Prazi works and then try metro then. I’ve heard that Prazi does it’s thing pretty quickly, so should I expect a fairly spot-free Tang when I get home tonight (or at least a big improvement in overall appearance)? When would the decision to switch to Metro be made?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi should clear the fish pretty quickly if it's going to work.

Treating with metro would be useful if this happened to be brook or a bacterial infection, but on second thought I would also add Kanaplex to the mix if you go the metro route.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a formalin dip be done with paraguard, or would something else be better?

I've experimented some with Paraguard, but in no way do I consider it to be formalin's equal. ;)

Formalin can be harsh, is a carcinogen, but it also clears surface parasites/worms off a fish like nobody's business. Unfortunately, using formalin feels like you may be sacrificing the fish's long-term health just to get it through a rough patch. But it's still better than a dead fish if all other treatment options have been exhausted.

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not get a good look at it yet because it is hiding in the pvc, but he did pop out quickly to go after food this morning and it appears much better. Eating is a good sign after a couple days of not. I will have more time tonight and plan to pull the pvc out to get a look if necessary.

Even though it never showed signs, I’m guessing this came in with the Emperor Angel and just took a long time to rear it’s ugly head.

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay...the Powder Blue Tang looks cleared up but now my juvenile Emperor that was in the same tank is looking weird. Almost looks like flesh color patches where blue would have been before. Any ideas???

abf98ff341bc58ab424ac56e1452cd5e.jpg

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pic is from him a few days ago when the PBT was looking terrible. I guess in hindesight, there may have been the start of these patches...
ea710321747e1bb58b290b8df350fa11.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back